Chapter 9: Reality Check

Start from the beginning

“I’m going to give Megan a call so she knows I’ll be picking up Landon from school,” Amelia told Benjamin on their way downstairs. Again, she didn’t get a verbal reply but a quick nod. It appeared a cat got his tongue that morning. He hadn’t spoken much, except for the few times he answered one of her questions. Clearly, Benjamin had decided it was best to ignore each other for the time being.

Once downstairs, Benjamin immediately headed for the reception desk while Amelia stayed behind in a quiet corner to make the call to her friend. It went straight to voicemail. Dammit. She tried a second time and was relieved when she finally heard her friend’s voice. “Hi, Lia, I’m so sorry for not answering the first time, but my daughter was puking her guts out. Apparently, the virus is spreading across the entire school. I’m so glad Landon isn’t affected. One sick kid that pukes all over the house is more than enough.” Well, don’t spare any details. Amelia really didn’t need a repeat of Landon’s illness. The smell alone had been enough to make her stomach do somersaults in a very bad way.

“I hope she gets well soon,” Amelia replied, trying to get the nauseating images out of her head. “I was just calling to let you know I’ll be picking Landon up from school this afternoon. We were able to finish work quicker than expected and rescheduled our flight.” She couldn’t wait to hold her boy in her arms. She’d missed Landon so incredibly much. The few phone calls they shared hadn’t been nearly enough.

“That’s great news. You know I love your boy, but he was having a hard time. He constantly asked about you and was in a bad mood.”

“He didn’t give you too much trouble, did he?”

“Lia, he was missing his mommy. I completely understand why he wasn’t his usual chipper self. Don’t worry. He was a good boy.”

Amelia sighed in relief. She’d raised her son well and knew he was usually a good boy, but she’d been worried that her absence would affect him in a bad way. “I really don’t know what I’d do without you. You’re the best, Megs, you know that? I wish I could pay you for everything you do for Landon and me.”

“Oh honey, don’t worry about it. I love being a second mommy to Landon and hanging out with you. I just wish you had someone else to lean on, not because you’re a burden, but because you deserve that. You deserve to have a man in your life, to have a bunch of friends and a loving family.”

Smiling softly, Amelia suddenly imagined Benjamin playing ball with Landon in their yard. She should’ve had a life like that. More than once, she’d worried about the fact that Landon didn’t have a father in his life. She didn’t know if it emotionally affected him. She tried her best to make up for it by being both a loving mom and a strict dad all at once, but she didn’t know if it was actually working.

Turning her head, she noticed Benjamin was signaling he was done. “Megs, I’ve got to go. See you later.” After ending the call, Amelia inhaled deeply and headed to the father of her child. She wondered what kind of dad Benjamin would’ve been had he known he had a son. Would he be strict? Would he take time off or still be a major workaholic? She shook her head. It didn’t matter. She’d never find out. She made her choice when she didn’t immediately inform him about Landon when he turned out to be her boss. It was too late to go back on her decision.

***

Tears gathered behind Amelia’s eyelids as she patiently waited for Landon to appear at the school gate after the bell rang. Three incredibly long days without her son had done a number on her. She was emotionally – and physically after her bad night’s rest – exhausted. Amelia couldn’t wait to cradle Landon against her chest and hold him in her arms. A part of her had been missing for the past days and she wanted it back, desperately.