Chapter 16: Missing Piece

Copyright 2015 © Rosesareforever

Cruel Fate

Chapter 16

'Missing Piece'

Listening to the relaxing sound of the rain dripping against the window of her office, Amelia typed away on her computer, a smile permanently edged across her features. Despite not being around her son for the entire the weekend, it still had been a great two days filled with many surprises. Benjamin's declaration about wanting to get along because he enjoyed her company the biggest one.

She still couldn't quite believe he'd actually pressed a soft peck against her temple, a sweet gesture that had been unexpected and completely out of character for him. She wasn't used to the tender side of his personality, didn't even know it existed. It seriously messed with her view of him as a ruthless businessman, a view she needed to keep in order to stay emotionally unattached from the man that was slowly but surely breaking down her walls with his persistence.

As if their current situation couldn't possibly get any weirder, the man had been in a great mood when she arrived at work that morning. Completely freaking her out, he even wished her a 'good morning' as she passed him in the hall. She didn't know what had gotten into him, but whatever it was, she hoped to god it would last. This side of Benjamin was so much easier to deal with than the brooding, arrogant business shark he often portrayed.

Speak of the devil, "Amelia, can you bring me the Rutledge case file when you're done reviewing it? I need to take a quick look at our agreement before my meeting this afternoon."

Progress. He no longer ordered her around, but actually took the time to ask a question. He might still be a man of few words, but at least he tried to adjust his behavior if she indicated he was acting gruff. It was more than she'd ever expected or even dared hope for.

"Sure. I'm almost finished. I only had to make a few minor adjustments. Nothing too significant. I'll drop the file off before my lunch break." When she didn't hear Benjamin leave, Amelia looked up from her screen and raised an eyebrow in question when she noticed her boss leaning against the doorframe, his shoulders locked tight. "Was there something else you needed?"

Benjamin quietly assessed the situation and tried to choose his next words wisely. "I wanted to ask a favor." It obviously cost him to say it out loud, his hands were balled into fists and his muscles beyond tense.

In a matter of seconds, Amelia's fingers left the keyboard of her computer. She gave Benjamin her full attention as she stopped working and turned her body in his direction. Surprise and wariness made her unusually static. Benjamin Hardman was not a man who asked favors. He didn't need them. If he wanted something, he'd make sure it happened. The man didn't need anyone's help.

"Oh?" A mere sound of surprise left her lips, no real words crossing her hazy mind. It was ridiculous how easily he could throw her off balance with one single sentence.

Relaxing his shoulders, Benjamin straightened his posture and walked closer to Amelia, his strides long and determined. His height still startled her when he towered over her desk and she needed to crane her neck to be able to look him in the eye. The man was incredibly tall. Even when she was wearing her favorite pair of heels, she only reached his shoulders and she was not a short woman.

"I would like to take Landon and you out for dinner tonight." It was a statement, not a question.

A soft gasp was freed from Amelia's lips when she opened her mouth in complete shock and stared up at the man who just stupefied her. "That's not a favor but a proposition," she corrected when her brain finally started functioning properly. It was a proposition she had not expected. She'd been sure that after spending a whole weekend with their son that he could use a break.