Chapter 6: Family Time

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Cruel Fate

Chapter 6

'Family Time'

Wearing a pair of tightfitting midnight jeans and a casual dim gray shirt for a change, Ben exited his BMW and strolled down the gravel path that led to his mother’s townhouse. His family would kill him if he dared to show up dressed in an expensive suit and handmade Italian shoes on a Sunday. They already berated him a little too much for his busy career and workaholic tendencies. His mother would do just about anything to see him settle down and give up some of his precious work time to start a family.

Ben would rather jump of a cliff than fulfill her dream. He wasn’t the kind of man that needed a woman on his arm to feel like he succeeded in life or desperately craved an heir. Ben enjoyed his life the way it was. He felt a great deal of gratification when he did his job well and was pleased with his bachelor status. A wife and children weren’t necessary to make him happy.   

“Son,” Harold smiled as he noticed Ben walking up the lane, past his mother’s dear petunias. The man patted his back the moment he was within reach. “It’s good to see you.”

“Good morning, Harold,” Ben greeted, genuinely smiling at his stepfather. Harold was a good man. He’d taking in three children and cared for them like they were his own just because they were birthed by the woman he loved. Harold never had any kids of his own and told anyone who asked he had three children. It was beyond nice of him. Ben always admired and respected the man for that.

“Abby and the twins are already here. Your mom is probably spoiling them rotten with candy and toys.” The comment made Ben laugh. Ever since becoming a grandmother, June was a softy. As strict as she used to be with her own kids, she was a complete pushover when it came to her grandbabies.

Unca Bjen!” Cade screamed at the top of his lungs when he noticed Ben walking into the house via the backdoor and immediately came running towards him as fast as he could. A small body collided with his leg and Ben smiled as he picked up his nephew from the floor and settled him on his hip.

“Hello, little man,” Ben grinned, playfully ruffling the boy’s hair. Jarred studied him from a distance and smiled a shy smile. He was the complete opposite of his brother. While Cade was loud and chatty, Jarred was timid and quiet. The boy stayed in the background and enjoyed playing on his own.

“I’m surprised you showed this early. Already done with work?” Abby grinned, raising an eyebrow as she caressed the side of her son’s face as he clutched her leg and held on for dear life, partly hiding behind her body. Jarred was a momma’s boy.

“Not even close, but I needed a break,” Ben admitted. He’d been working nonstop since Friday morning when he found out about the Barnes and Noble pitch. His creativity was lost after mindlessly working his ass off. He barely remembered the last time he consumed food. He’d been living on coffee and the occasional glass of whiskey the entire weekend.

“Where’s Ethan?” he asked, referring to his younger brother. Ben certainly wasn’t the only successful family member. Ethan might only be twenty-nine, but he already owned two clubs in the city and was currently working on opening a third. Together with his best friend Brandon, Ethan followed his teenage dream of owning a high-class club where everyone hung out on the weekends to party. His success might be largely based on luck, but it was success nonetheless.

“Probably still in bed with one of his admirers. It blows my mind how many women are desperate enough to sleep with the owner of their favorite club to get a spot in the VIP,” Abby said, rolling her eyes. “Of course the dickhead uses it to his advantage. He’s never going to find a decent woman if he keeps breaking hearts.”