The Bite

I was hired as an information finder rather than security. My hacking skills weren't quite up to par. I would be getting some training from Trix who had been performing those duties as well as her secretary duties. Upon signing a confidential document, I was warned that I would be learning about things that were not in my normal mundane existence and that Trix would teach me how to do searches. Also, I would be starting tomorrow and they would be working around my class schedule. Since I didn't have much else to do and I had called off class today, I went to the bar and had a drink. Everything there pretty normal so far and my mind wandered to that of my house. I was thinking it was silly to wait till Stephen came home because Kimmie would be at work. She wasn't the type to ever skip days unless she was sick.

Ignoring, Stephen's advice or command, depending upon how you looked at it, I drove to my house. I was surprised to see her car in the driveway and almost turned around, but then saw that the front door was wide open. Fearing the worst, I rushed inside yelling, "Kimmie!"

The place looked like it had been trashed, and I headed into the bedroom. She was lying on the bed half-dressed, and there was a wound on her arm with blood on the bed. It looked as if something had bit her arm. Shaking her I yelled, "Kimmie!"

Kimmie's eyes fluttered and she started to sit up. "Micah!" she breathed.

"Yes, it's me."

She began hugging me, kissing me and then hugging me again with tears in her eyes. "I'm so glad to see you. Someone broke in last night and attacked me!"

Blinking, feeling shocked at her reaction after last night, but I hugged her back trying to comfort her. Even though I may not like her very much anymore, I didn't want something like this to happen to her. "We need to call the police. You need your arm looked at. It looks like something bit you. Did somebody break in here with a dog?"

Kimmie's eyes became blank for a moment as she thought and said, "I don't remember much. It happened so fast, Micah. Please don't let me go. I'm so scared."

I held her for another minute, and then dug my cell phone out of my pocket, calling 911. I also called Stephen and left a message.

"Who was that?"

"My Professor, Mr. Powers. I stayed at his place last night."

"That was nice of him."

She had no idea, but I didn't get into any other details. Soon, the police came and they called the ambulance who looked over her arm. The police tried to get details out of her, but she told them the same thing. After a moment, her eyes lit up. "But I have cams hidden all over the house. I've always been paranoid about somebody possibly breaking in," she explained.

My eyes narrowed highly doubting that was the reason. She had been watching me, and I had no idea. For the moment, I pushed those thoughts away. "Well, you need to go to the hospital."

She nodded, telling the police where each of the cams was, and they collected those and dusted for fingerprints. Since she could walk, the medics directed her towards the ambulance. "Follow us over there please, Micah. Don't leave me!"

Swallowing, I nodded. "Of course."

As I was following the ambulance to the hospital, my phone rang. It was Stephen. "Hi," I said.

"I told you not to go over there," was the first thing he said.

"She's hurt. I'm on the way to the hospital," I said instead of replying to his comment.

His end was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "What happened to her?"

"The house was broken into, and it looks like something bit her. She doesn't remember anything though."