26

Devonte

"Can you help me?" Renee sounded scared. Immediately, I stiffened.

"What's wrong?" I ain't like her tone. At the end of the day, she was my child's mother and I would protect her and my son to the best of my ability.

"Some people been following me, and I'm pretty sure it's paparazzi. I don't wanna lead them back to my spot and I damn sure don't want them to see Armon."

"Where you at?" I relaxed a bit. Just the pap. If she could successfully avoid them, they were harmless. But if not, they could become a nightmare, especially for someone who wasn't used to their invasive ways.

"I'm driving, I'm on the street like ten minutes from the airbnb but this car been following me for the longest."

"Ah, shit. Yeah it's probably the pap. Can you lose em?"

"I'm trying, but they staying on me. And I'm not tryna drive crazy with the baby with me." There was a pause. "Damn, how you get rid of them?"

"You gotta fake them out. Where exactly are you?"

"I don't even know. Um, I'm passing a Wendy's. And like I said I'm ten minutes from the Airbnb."

"Just keep driving. Hopefully you can just lose em as you drive. Send me your location though. I'm coming."

I hung up and was greeted by the question in Yaz's eyes. "Yeah. That was Renee, she thinks the pap is following her."

"How would they even know about her? What if it's someone else?"

"Could be but I'm thinking it's pap."

"So what you gonna do?"

"Go meet her."

"Ain't that gonna make it super obvious to the paparazzi?"

"If they tailing her ass, then they know she gotta connection to me. Ion know how they know, but they know. The main thing is they don't find out about Mon."

"I don't know Tae, something off about this shit. It's almost like they got tipped off or something. The whole time we was in Atlanta, nothing, but as soon as we come to Indy the pap on Renee? It's sus."

"Nobody know about her but your family and mine."

"Yeah, that's the problem."

"Fuck you mean?" I knew she wasn't accusing my folks of anything. Taylors were loyal to a fault. I fished in my pocket for my keys and she followed me out to the car.

"I think it was Zaire."

"What?" That got my attention.

"I ain't wanna say anything, but he been moving weird and I don't know if I can trust him anymore."

By now we were in my car, and I pushed to start. "I mean, ion know baby, that's a big accusation." Yeah, the nigga ain't seem happy about me and Yaz together but I also ain't see what he would gain from siccing the pap on Renee, besides getting on my shit list.

"I'm just saying..." Yaz trailed off. "Something's off."

"The main thing is we make sure the kid and Renee is good. We don't got no proof that Zaire moving shady, and if you go questioning his ass, you gonna start something."

"Yeah, but I'll also get some answers. I know when his ass is lying. I can always tell."

"Let's handle this shit before you do anything." Brielfy I weighed if I wanted to take any of my security niggas, in case shit went down. But before I made up my mind, my phone rang again. I glanced at it and it was Renee. "What's up?"