(New Start) Roman Godfrey

"Please turn to page twelve.” my Latin teacher said opening his book.
I sighed and kept scribbling in my sketchbook. I never really paid attention in school. It was all too boring for me. 
I felt a tap on the back of my head and turned around to the person behind me. Roman. 
    “Yes?” I said annoyed. 
Roman was always annoying me. He loved it. He would wink and flirt with me all the time because he knew it got on my nerves. 
He looked at me with the world’s most aggravating grin.
“What are you doing after school today?” he said whispering in my hear.
He was obviously up to something. I turned back around and rolled my eyes ignoring him.
He got closer to me and brushed the hair away from my ear. His head rested against the side of mine.
    “It was just a question. Don’t get so mad” he said. I could practically hear the smirk in his voice. 
    “I’m not mad. I just don’t feel like telling you. Now you should really do your work and try not to fail.” I said keeping my eyes on the drawing I was working on.
He scoffed and leaned back in his seat.
After school, I met up with my best friend Peter. 
    “Hello (y/n) and how are you,” he said smiling softly at me as he shoved his hands in his pockets. 
    “I’m fine,” I said chuckling and walking with him down the sidewalk.
We were almost off of school grounds when Roman’s car pulled up beside us.
    “Need a lift?” he said looking at me then winking. 
I rolled my eyes and looked at Peter who was already getting in his car.
    “Peter! Really!” I said rolling my eyes once again.
    “Come on (y/n). Stop being pissy and get in,” he said opening the door to the back.
I sighed and got in. 
Peter knew me and Roman had beef. He was always fake flirting with me and I was always ignoring him. Peter was in the middle. He tried to hang out with both of us together but, usualy it never worked. 
When we got to Peters’s house we all got out. I grabbed my bag and walked in front of Peter and Roman to the door. I got inside and flung my bag on the couch plopping down next to it. 
Peter walked into the small kitchen and picked up a note. He sighed and rubbed his head.
    “What,” Roman said walking up to him.
    “My mom wants me to go get some things from the store so, I’ll be back. The store is really close so you two stay here,” he said running out the door.
Before me or Roman could process what he said, he was gone.
I stared at Roman than at the ground.
I never really stayed alone with Roman. Peter was always there. So this was kind of awkward. 
Roman moved my bag and sat down next to me on the couch.
    “Hey…” he started.
    “Hi,” I said playing with my hands.
    “Look… I know we don’t talk too much and when we do it’s short but, I wanted to apologize. I know you don’t like it when I flirt with you and I need to respect that and stop… I am sorry (y/n)” 
I searched his eyes for any sign of playfulness but no. He was being serious. 
    “I- I mean. It’s okay. I know you’re just joking around. Don’t worry about it.” I said placing a hand on his leg.
He looked down at my hand and picked it up. He brings it to his lips before kissing it softly.
    “Thank you (y/n). Let’s start over... My name is Roman Godfrey. And you are?” he said giving me a soft smile. 
I chuckled a bit before giving in.
    “Hello, Roman. My name is (y/n)” 
    “Well (y/n). It is very nice to meet you.” 
Roman picked up a strand of my hair and twirled it around his finger. In this moment, he looked so pure. So angelic and hostile. He looked as if he could never hurt a fly. It was amazing. I could tell what I was seeing was rare. It was a part of him that he had not fully come to terms with yet. I have seen him use this side of himself around his cousin and sister. He cared for them, and maybe he cared for me too. 
    I took his hand in mine and gave him a stary-eyes look of hope. Hope for us and for this newfound soft spot and friendship.