The Evening Sacrifice

While Anu and Neptune were meant to be the praiser and diviner - the ones who show the way, and Sati and Zeus were meant to be the planner and protector - the ones who hold the line, Aphroe and Mars were the priest and conjurer.  To them it was given to provide whatever was necessary for the task at hand, selflessly providing what was necessary and being able to change form and matter itself.  

"The evening son approaches."  The ram raised his head gazing at the orange ball of fire in the sky.  He lowered his head thoughtfully.  "The evening sacrifice must be prepared."

Aphroe rubbed up against him still enjoying the moment they had been having before.  "And what might that be, Highest Head of the Waters?" 

Just then the great lion who was panting heavily from flying so fast approached them.  When he caught his breath - "The...dragon...darkness...it's...reforming!"  He panted.  "I must...warn...mother!"

Mars and Aphroe raised their heads to the night sun.  Though still small in the sky to them Zeus explained it was five times the size of any of them and knew not how it could now be countered.  He prayed the priests had a solution.  He told of his narrow escape through the moment of confusion his partner had provided allowing him to fool the Ragnarock into eating the hairball, then he hastened off to the golden glow opposite the night sky.

"I do have a solution."  Mars confided in Aphroe.  "Conjure me a great golden chain."

Quickly Aphroe produced from herself the golden chain thinking it would be to bind the foe.  Mars bound them around her antlers.  "Am I?..."

"No,"  Mars answered reading her thoughts.  "I am.  This will bind the dragon from touching you even though he swallow you, no harm may befall you."

"But..our children..."

"They will be safe inside you as well."

"But...you..."  She nuzzled close against him being careful not to lock horns.

"I will merely be doing the task given me to do.  The Dark One provides all that is necessary."  The red ram stood tall gently fondling her face in his.  "Now quickly, the orange sun is upon us...hasten somewhere safe."

He said not a word.  He didn't look back.  The Ragnarock came upon him.  And he was no more.