Chapter 57: The Ball

"Akatsuki, Hanabusa, you shouldn't be in the girls' section of the dorm," Kaname's crisp voice addressed the two of them. "Please leave now." Both of them bowed their heads, apologising, before Akatsuki spoke again.

"Lord Kaname, it seems that Saki has gained aristocratic powers." Kaname barely raised an eyebrow.

"Perhaps," he replied calmly. "I shall deal with her myself, then. Ruka, please leave us." Ruka bowed feverently again.

"As you wish, my Lord," she replied, before walking off in the direction of the staircase.

"Saki, what did you do?" Kaname asked sternly, his eyes floating over the bed sheets at my feet and the singe stain on the mattress. "I hope your power didn't go astray. Why did you tell Akatsuki about your ability?"

I crossed my arms stiffly.

"It was an accident okay?" I defended myself. "The light just got out of control and Akatsuki noticed. Of course I had to explain it to him. You want me to tell him that I went crazy with a torch?" Kaname didn't look amused.

"If word of you having aristocrat powers gets out, you may be under inspection, to make sure that you haven't drunk the blood of any vampire with the ability of yours, and I too, will be affected." Oh now I get it. Kaname just didn't want me to pull him into trouble. Any gratefulness I might have felt towards him for saving my life was gone, disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"So, sorry," I retorted sarcastically. "Of course if I ended up getting you in trouble, you won't be able to protect your darling Yuki."

As soon as I mentioned Yuki, Kaname frowned.

"Saki, about Yuki. I want you to keep watch on her tonight at the ball. She will be in danger. You sensed the difference in Maria Kurenai didn't you?" Change of topic? I wasn't expecting that.

"Can't you watch over her yourself?" Kaname's reply was brief.

"It will only attract attention and I don't want the Day Class to notice."

Hmph. Well, I didn't know what to do to be honest. If I listened and obeyed Kaname, it would only seem like I was back under his control. At least he didn't force me this time. Maybe it's because he didn't force me this time that I felt relieved. And if I didn't obey, he might force me anyway. Guess I have no choice.

"Fine," I crossed my arms. "I'll watch over Yuki, but only because you saved my life." And almost killed me countless other times, I silently added.

"Thank you," Kaname nodded calmly, as though he knew I would say that all along.

That night was the night of the ball. Apparently the Day Class I had been in had to set up, since our average was the lowest out of all the classes. I thought I knew why. Yuki had fallen asleep in the middle of the test, after sitting there staring in thin air, no matter what Sayori or I did. We had to concentrate on our own paper as well.

I wasn't in the Day Class anymore, so it meant I didn't have to set up. I didn't mind setting up though. It was something useful to do and it would preoccupy me.

Heaving a silent sigh, I picked up the carry bag on the floor and took the dress out. It was a nice sheen of red, but the sight of it made me slightly sick. Blood. I would drink it, and now I would wear it.

Picking it up carefully, I went into the bathroom to change, in case Maria came in.

Putting the dress on was relatively easy, a simple matter of unzipping the side and stepping in. The sleeves were also easy, just pulling them on. The ribbon however, remained a problem. I stared at the ribbon in my hands and at my reflection in the mirror. I could do this.