Chapter 21: A dangerous path

The first of the vampires lunged at me, its eyes mad with bloodlust.

I struck out at it with a hand, feeling it tear through the vampire with ease. As it exploded into ash, I stared at the horrifying mess coating my hand, dripping with blood and darkness. I am a monster.

I felt something land on my back, feeling claws tear through it, as another pair of claws grasped my arm. Fangs clamped onto my neck, and I screamed, twisting wildly, trying to knock the vampires of me. I began running then, as fast as I could, trying to staunch the wounds the vampires had given me. My vision was going black. I had lost so much blood.

Somehow, I had managed to reach the tower, scrambling up the stairs. I could hear the bloodthirsty cries of the vampires, as some tried to follow me, while others began scaling the walls on the outside of the belltower. Finally, I came to a gap in the ceiling above me. Throwing myself up, I realised that Yuki was in the room, wielding her metal pole, facing another vampire.

Yuki gasped in shock when she saw me.

"Saki! You-" The screeches of vampires grew louder, as the first vampire came through the trapdoor. More came through the window, and I collapsed, unable to hold myself.

That was when I felt the presence of another vampire. A different one. A pureblood.

"Don't look." Kaname's low voice spoke to Yuki, as he covered her eyes with one hand, holding her close to him with the other. I felt wind gusting around the room, and heard the Level E vampires' ago used scream, as they exploded into ash. I couldn't take any more, I was so exhausted. My vision finally went black, and I couldn't feel anything.

I could feel myself wake up, but my eyes stayed shut. They couldn't open, no matter how much I tried. I felt so tired, like my body was glued to position. All I could see was darkness. I can't open my eyes. What if I was blind?

I gasped, trying to open my eyes, until a hand rested on my shoulder.

"Stay calm, Saki," The voice sounded like the headmaster's, "Your eyes are just sealed shut by dried blood. Here, I'll wipe it off." I could feel a warm, damp cloth on my eyes then, wiping my eyelids. When the pressure eased off, I opened my eyes slowly, carefully taking in the bright light of my surroundings.

"How are you feeling?" The headmaster looked at me kindly, his oval shaped glasses flashing slightly in the different angles of light, "Zero had to carry you here after you collapsed. I dare say he wasn't very pleased about it." I struggled to sit up, shaking off the nausea rising inside me.

"Tell him that he didn't have to, and he could have just left me to die." I croaked out. My mouth felt so dry. I needed water...Or blood.

"He had no other choice." Kaname's voice came from the doorway of the infirmary. The pureblood stood there calmly, leaning against the wall, surveying me with serious and steady eyes.

"You didn't protect Yuki," Kaname's voice was stern, "I had to do that instead."

I felt the anger in me rise.

"You think you can have me risk my life to protect some stupid human and just say I failed?" I shouted, or at least I tried to. It came out more like a raspy croak, "Can't you at least say 'thank you for trying, Saki, I know you tried your best,' Is that beyond you?!"

Kaname was unnerved.

"I to-"

"I should go now." The headmaster interrupted, looking between the two of us, concerned, "Please don't do anything... unpleasant." Kaname acknowledged him with a nod, as the headmaster left the room.

"As I was saying," Kaname began, as he shut the door behind Kaien, "I told you that I wanted you to protect Yuki. Don't think that you got into this academy for no reason. Think about it like this - You are a Level C, with vampire hunter blood, and the blood of two Purebloods. Is the blood of the Kuran family not enough for you? I believed that you were strong enough to cope with a few Level E vampi-"

"A few Level E vampires?!" I repeated incredulously, "Didn't you see how many there were? You were saying something about beli-" Kaname stared at me intensely, and my mouth stopped moving, no matter how much I tried to speak.

"I believed you could," He repeated, "But you were very foolish, in letting lots of your blood fall. Didn't you know that when there is fresh blood, with Kuran blood in, that Level E vampires will flock for this blood? Or have you forgotten?" Kaname's red-brown eyes were emotionless as he spoke, "I do not care about you. I only care, for the person most precious to me, someone I hold very dear." I sat there, glowering at him silently. Finally he nodded.

"I'll let you rest." He left the room silently, shutting the door with a click.