Chapter 9: Half a Day Till Tomorrow

There was about two weeks left until October was over, and about half a day left until Kalimity High's first game of the school year. The Kalimity Weasels would verse Somber Ridge's Dragons in a soccer match, and the latter school would be hosting.

Aivie had felt more anguish than glee as this upcoming school event was quickly approaching. She hadn't realized how vigorous cheer-leading could be, and these last couple of weeks have taken a substantial toll on her already unsteady emotional security. Being late for practice had become her way of dealing with it, but she wondered just how long she could do it before it costs her spot on the team.

"Listen up ladies!" Bel shouted. It was almost 5:30 p.m., and practice should have been over at five, but Bel insisted for some extra time to perfect the routines before the game.

Though Bel hadn't said to, all the girls started gathering around her, even Colette. Aivie was debilitated, but still she mustered up something, enough to stand and join The Jills in their frivolous circle.

"Tomorrow's a big day," Bel started. "The guys aren't the only ones facing competition. We'll be seeing those tramps from Somber Ridge again as well, so I expect flawless performances. Those second place bitches think they can creep up on us and steal first place in the championships this year, just because they came close last year. Those toothpick hoes better think again."

Aivie wasn't entirely sure what to make of the words that were leaving Bel's mouth. Was this supposed to be a pep talk, or a threat? Aivie was growing even more exhausted just listening to her, but she had to admit, she was still a bit amused. If Bel trashed talked this much before a game, she must utter a whole dump when it came to championships.

"And last thing -- don't be late," Bel glared at Aivie as she said this.

Aivie had zoned out for a moment at some point, but didn't miss what Bel had personally addressed to her. She smiled, a small one, and lifted up a friendly open palm to her. Bel glowered in return, but Aivie couldn't take her too seriously, she usually didn't.

"That'll be all. Remember, 9:30 a.m. tomorrow." And with that, they were all dismissed. Bel and her crew filed into the locker room. Colette stayed behind with Aivie, and started patting her upper back supportively, in an attempt to nurse a grievance she knew was coming.

"Ok," Aivie started, "10:00 a.m., is a suitable time, reasonable even. But 9:30 a.m.? That's an assault, theft, aggravated pointlessness. If I'm not 'flawless' tomorrow, it's because of her call to get us here at an ungodly half-hour."

"That's it baby, cry it out. I think I got a lollipop in my pocket if you want it?" Colette cooed.

Aivie smacked her arm away from her back, and pouted at her. "What flavor?"

"Mango."

Still pouting, Aivie stuck her hand out and Colette took a round mango lollipop from her compression pants pocket, placing it in Aivie's waiting palm.

"I'll wait on the bleachers till they're all done in the locker room. I can't stand to be the presence of that tyrant right now. You can go in now if you want," Aivie said, firmly.

"All right baby. Don't talk to any strangers, and enjoy your lolli." Colette blew a chaste kiss goodbye, and Aivie returned it by flipping her off with an upside down middle finger. She usually did that when she wanted to be offensive, but at the same time, not so offensive.

Colette sauntered to the locker room, and Aivie waddled over to the aluminum bleachers. She had come to realize over the years that she enjoyed being high up, so she started to climb up the seats, when she noticed something -- someone, squatting in a corner beneath the seats. They were wearing a grey hoodie, but it couldn't entirely hide their long ginger red strands.