Chapter 4: The Stereotypical Type

Kalimity High had two gymnasiums — the north gym, and the south gym. The north gym was for sports and other possible activities that took up much space. The south gym was for sports and other possible activities that took up less space. And cheer-leading tryouts were always held on the south side.

It was four p.m. when Aivie and Colette had arrived. Colette was already on the cheer-leading team, had been since grade ten, and Aivie had planned to join The Jills today.

Aivie didn't really want to be a cheerleader, though she had no doubt she could be a good one. It's just that it was the only way she could have more time with her sports-involved best-friends.

As the two entered the southern gym, the first thing their eyes found was a meek group of teen girls standing in line right at the center of the gym. The second thing catching their eyes were the Jills, perched together on the small-scale bleachers that were by the wall next to the gym's entrance, looking just about ready to condemn the prey before them.

"This isn't really tryouts is it? It's an impending butchering, and we're all voluntarily lining up to be slaughtered," Aivie commented, as a matter of fact.

Colette waved a sassy finger back at her. "Nuh-uh. You, Ms. Drama Queen, are cancelled for the next hour. And try to be anyone else but yourself for the next hour too, while you're at it. Go." She gently shoved Aivie towards the direction of the line.

As Aivie sulked her way over, she made the mistake of glancing up at the bleachers, and ended up locking eyes with the 'Golden Head-Bitch' herself. Bel noticed Aivie, glancing back with the most cold-blooded stare Aivie had ever seen. Surprisingly perturbed, Aivie quickly straightened her posture, and fashioned the kindest smile she could. She kept at it, although it didn't seem to be having any effect on Bel.

It wasn't usually palpably clear as to why Aivie wasn't so fond of Bel and the rest of her Jills, but it always was plainly clear as to why Bel wasn't so fond of Aivie.

Bel White, a citizens of Neoaville that lived on the wealthy side of Azure Lane, had expeditiously developed a notion over the years that when you're wealthy, there were certain characteristics of which you had to maintain: good hair (not dyed), good teeth (no crowns), flawless skin (no acne or blackheads or blemishes), a slim body, a good sense of style, and belong to at least one social group (sports, membership clubs, socialites) — if not all then some. And she always made an effort to advocate for this notion, especially towards Aivie who always made a passionate effort to ridicule it. She never could grasp the whole idea of Colette and Sun willingly staying friends with her.

With a perky smile still glued to her face, Aivie took post next to a girl who looked as if she could've been the long lost twin of Bel. She had luscious golden locks like Bel's, but hers were profusely longer and curlier. Her lips were plump and pink like Bel's, but hers profusely more well-rounded in a darker shade of pink. Aivie couldn't help but wonder what parts of her were real, and what parts were not.

Colette sauntered over to the bleachers with the rest of her cheer-mates, meanwhile, Bel grabbed a clipboard and went to stand in front of her potential new cheer-mates.

"Listen up!" Bel announced in her sharp yet honey-dipped voice. A flock of eyes, including Aivie and Bel's twin, flinched to face forward. "Mrs. Maran had an appointment to get to, so I'll be in charge of auditions. Props to all of you who actually worked up the nerve to show up today. But, I've got some unfortunate news for you: there are only two spots available, so that means nineteen of you are getting cut today. No pressure, but may I remind you that only the best two will be chosen. So, let's get this train-wreck on the road, shall we?"

After about forty strenuous minutes, Bel finally put a halt to tryouts, and The Jills huddled together to conduct some voting.

Aivie had surprised the entire gymnasium, including Colette. Her jazzy, slick and spry dancing had been on a par with the rest of The Jills. For several years, she'd been an enthusiastic fan of Korean pop music. The countless videos she always watched of K-artists performing, had sparked a hidden joy and talent in her for dance. So for untold amounts of time, while alone at home, she practiced as she watched, and watched as she practiced.