A Question and an Answer

Seokmin and Jungwoo ran down the tunnel, following the scent trail left by Jaeson as he rushed to rescue his mate. The other members of Midnight were following close behind and all were hoping they didn't reach them too late.

As they ran down a long tunnel, they could hear crying in the distance and then picked up the scent of Jaeson, Julie, and Stacy. Rounding the bend, they saw Jaeson, in human form, holding a sobbing Julie in his naked arms. Julie seemed to not care at his state of dress and was holding him as if her life depended on it. Considering what they expected to find, it probably did.

Seokmin slowed down to get a better look at the two girls and saw the raw, angry teeth marks on Julie's shoulder. The bloody and torn pajamas made it clear that the violation had not been consensual. Jungwoo bent down to get a look at Stacy who was sitting against the wall, tears running down her face.

"Are you okay?" Jungwoo asked Stacy.

She just looked at him and nodded, "I don't think the same can be said for Michelle or Nathan." Stacy didn't say anything else and folded her arms over her bent knees and continued to cry.

Taekwoon joined Jungwoo on the floor and took Stacy into his arms. She leaned against him, letting go of whatever pent up feelings she had been holding back. Taekwoon cradled Stacy to him and nodded to Jungwoo to continue the search. He then picked up the crying girl and started walking back.

Mingyu had clothes for Jaeson to get into but he seemed reluctant to let go of his sobbing mate.

Jungwoo motioned for Seokmin to follow him and they continued down the tunnel till they came to a door that led to another hallway. They could hear nothing coming from the other side so they opened the door and walked into the hallway. What they saw shocked them both. Laying against the wall on the far end, crumpled in a bloody heap was a blond woman. Once they got closer they realized it was Michelle. She was staring toward a cell and when they looked in they saw Nathan, also crumpled on the floor, his neck angled in an unnatural position, giving silent testimony to his cause of death.

"Poor bastard," Jungwoo commented as he walked over and examined Nathan's corpse more closely. "Looks like he was turning lycan when he died." Indeed, Nathan's body was disfigured between human and wolf.

"Julie's rejection probably caused him to become lycan and Michelle must have got in the middle of it." Seokmin looked at the mangled bodies before him. All this waste sickened him. This was so unnecessary. They did not have to die.

"She wouldn't have lived long past his rejection anyway, this may have been the kindest ending for this pair," Jungwoo said.

"Perhaps, but that doesn't change that someone killed Nathan in the mania of becoming a lycan." Seokmin pointed out. Their wolves agreed. They exchanged glances and as one, they left the cell leaving the horror for the pack to deal with. When they rejoined the group in the tunnel, Jaeson was finally dressed and was walking back down the tunnel with his traumatized mate.

"What happened back there, Julie hasn't said anything," he asked his packmates through their link so Julie wouldn't get more upset at their conversation.

"Nathan and Michelle didn't make it. We found no one else." Jungwoo informed them. Jaeson nodded and picked up his crying mate bridal style, carrying her the rest of the way out of the tunnel system.

When they exited the cavern system, Julie's parents were anxiously waiting. The arrival of Midnight has not gone unnoticed by the reporters who had been covering the story and photographers were quick to photograph both Stacy and Julie being carried in the arms of the members of Midnight. Questions were yelled but everyone ignored the reporters as a pack medical team took over the care of the two girls. Alpha Brian was still coordinating the investigation of the cavern system and he beckoned Seokmin and Jungwoo to join him while Jaeson and Taekwoon looked after the girls.