Family

"The Dark Stranger"
© VeGirl 2014

I stare at her with open mouth. "You are sister to my sister? That means we are family, and still you wanted to put a dagger in my back?"

She actually looks like she is ashamed of it, but then raises her chin defiantly. "Your side of the family has never done anything for me!"

I start to laugh. "I hear you sister." The second I hear those words come through my lips realization hits me. "I've got two sisters today!" I smile wide and she watches me as if I have hit my head hard. "I thought I was an orphan up until a few months ago."

Aoleon watches me guarded, almost with a silent question if I might have lost my mind completely.

"Guards!" I call and the girl flinches.

People comes filing towards us and I gesture towards the two who has been bound like prisoners who are alarmingly flickering their eyes between us and the oncoming crowd. "Free them," I exhale relieved with my smile still on. I hear the on-lookers gasp, even the ones who has heard our conversation. I fling my arms out as I address the crowd as if I was some kind of rockstar. "She is my sister!"

There is a whoosh through the crowd as if wind rustles the leaves in a forest of trees. People start to whisper amongst each other and the rustle turns to a loud cacophony of sounds.

"Hold on a minute!"

Surprised I turn and look at Vincent who has objected. "These two has plotted against you and you are willing to simply see past that?"

Everybody has halted and are now watching us breathlessly again.

"What says they won't turn on you and drive a dagger into your backs, including Esme's?"

"Vincent I..."

She try to object, to tell him that she can manage to hold her own, but Vincent simply flicks his wrist to silence her and it is efficient. He walks up really close to Kent, the magicshop-owner. "So what is your point of view in this plot?"

"I...I just..." says the startled man as his vocal ability returns to him.

"You just...?" I am amazed at how Damian's appearance has changed; every movement tells me he is a predator and I can see Kent's eyes widen in fear.

"Damian...?" I warn him.

Quickly he turns an ominous look at me, but the next second Kent flinch as Damian's attention has returned to the man. "Tell me now." He speaks slowly but the voice is low and rumbles like a growl.

"I...I'd been searching for The Mighty for quite some time when Aoleon required my assistance." Kent rambles out in an impressive speed while his eyes are wide open in fear for Damian. "She told me that she might help me find one of them."

"The Mighty...?" Damian seems bemused.

Esme harrumphs and motion with her hand. "That'd be me..."

Damian furrow his brows. "What's going on Momba?"

Esme grind her teeth. "Would you stop with the wicked witch of the west-jokes?" she grunts. "I'm nephilim, which makes me one of the most hunted species in the history of time; even worse than vampires. Nobody wants us!" Her face is strained and that laces her words. "We're supposed to be washed from the face of the earth."

The room is eerily silent.

"But you're a witch as well, and that makes you much more powerful!"

We all turn towards Kent whose eyes tingle admirably. "It is an honour to be in your presence." He inclines his head respectfully.

The room is still quiet enough that any stray needle dropping would make everybody flinch.