Honey, I'm home!

"The Dark Stranger" © VeGirl 2014

When I come to, the first thing that hits me is the smell of damp moss. I draw in lungs filed with the rich aroma and then a smile grazes my face. Like a fool I lay there with my eyes still closed but with a silly grin plastered on my face.

By the smell I know I have found my way back. The pungent forest smell is soothing and the pain in my heart ease. It has been a hard couple of weeks.

Birds chirp and I open my eyes to catch a sight of them. It wasn't the bright yellow Western Tanager I expected it to be, but rather a Robin.

Robin's don't live here.

My smile widens as a light drizzle falls softly down in me. God how I have missed seriously bad weather. The next minute I start to shiver as I realize I am still dressed in the angelic gown.

It is time to get up.

My smile widens as I get up and realize our fall must have been successful. A strike of horror shoots through me as I wonder if we have reached the right destination or if we have landed in... say... Denmark.

Anxiously I look around.

The drizzle is chilling me and I know that I have to get inside and get some proper clothes on. The spot where I lay is charred and black, but I don't look back; I hurry into the forest and quickly find a path to follow.

To find cover is getting more and more urgent as the drizzle turn into rain. Soon my gown is soaked and thoughts about Miss Wet T-shirt flicker though my mind.

When I exit the forest and find small houses I am shivering quite heavily. The surrounding is somewhat familiar to me and I strain my mind to figure out where I might be. In the distance I see a huge yellow building that is very familiar. This is where Vincent took me that first time I fell; the building that was a monastery.

I am home!

With a warmer heart I hurry the well known distance to my house; Vincent and my house.

Darkness is starting to surround me and I long for his arms more than ever. When I reach the house it is engulfed in darkness.

He is not here.

I almost stop with cold heart, but the wet clothes urge me to get inside so that is what I do. The door is locked as it was the day we left, but I know where the spare key is and swiftly unlock to get inside.

I shake violently as I close the door behind me and call out his name. The house is eerily silent and with heavy heart it is clear that he is not here.

Irely or desperately I tear the gown off and drop it on the floor while I almost run up to the bathroom and turn the shower on. While the hot water slowly warm my soul I remember Aoleon. Horror strike me as I think about how she is laying out there in the darkness with nowhere to go. I quickly lather and rince and get out if the shower.

With no time to wallow in grief over Vincent, I scurry to the closet, get dressed in no time and grab whatever I can find for my friend.

With an umbrella over my head and a blanket on my arm, I hurry out the door soon thereafter. Without hesitation I mentally call for Esme and head for her house. It is quite close and I am eternally grateful for remembering my way.

'Esme, are you up?'

'Sam, is that you?'

'Of course it is, I need your help!'

'You're back!'

'I am; can I come in?' I reach her house as her lights flicker on and without hesitation I simply walk inside. "Honey, I'm home," I joke as I her feet hurry down the stairs.