Ignorance is bliss

"The Dark Stranger"
© VeGirl 2014

I wake up in my bed, the house is serenely silent, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something I'm supposed to know. With a worried glance on the clock on my bedside table, I realize I'm due for work in just an hour. A smile grace my lips, accompanied by a sigh as I throw the blanket away from me and sit on my bed. Sleepy, I stretch and wonder if I should sign up for Yoga-class.

No wonder I thought something was missing; it isn't weekend as I thought at all.

After a shower and breakfast I head out to my car. Unintentionally my eyes flicker to the house across the street as they have done for years now, and I wonder when that house will wake me one night, by falling to the ground.

My lips stretch into a temporary smile and I roll my eyes as I back my car out of the driveway and head over to work.

Eddie is the first one there today as usual, looking tired but hugging a mug of coffee. Without uttering a single word she pours another mug and hands it to me.

"Thanks'." I smile at her.

"You look like you're in a good mood." She almost scowls at me. "Did you get laid?"

My mouth falls open in surprise and I laugh out loud. "Ribald much?"

A smile brightens up her features. "You know me." Mischief is glistening in her eyes. "I had a perfectly marvelous night with Milo, thank you for asking."

"Really?" I ask surprised and am just about to prod her for details in a very un-lady-like manner, when Amelia walks in through the door.

"Good morning, you two look cheery," she smiles and walk straight the coffeemachine and pours a mug before she head to the dressingroom to change into her work clothes.

"And how is that hunk Vince?" Eddie asks with a glib smile.

"Who?"

She looks at me as if I should crack a smile and then tease her, but that smile changes into a puzzled, yet irritable face. "The guy you've been hovering over?" she probes, with the same confusion on my part.

"I've been hovering over some Vince?" I ask confused, but decide to play along. "Does he wear mirrored aviator shades and a brown leather jacket?" I tease, painting a picture of some sleaze-bag from the 70's. She looks bemused before she simply turns and leaves me. I smile, seeing I won this game. I change my clothes, braids my hair and walk to my workstation. There is something strange about my reflection, I think as I walk from the dressingroom.

The other girls are acting less weird and we talk and joke around as we continue our chores. Our bakery is filled with the same mouthwatering scent as usual, and soon it is filled with customers as well.

Mary is eyeing me curiously when she heads between the cash-register and the kitchen.

My eyebrows start to line up tight together while a crooked smile grates my face. "What?" There is clearly something that bugs her and I wish she would just spit it out.

"I can't believe you never said anything about Vincent." Her eyes glisten as she shakes her head and chuckle. "He looks like a freaking Abercrombie and Fitch-model gone rogue."

"Who?"

Her brows shoot up in surprise, almost mirroring Eddie's expression. "What do you mean who?"

"I don't know what you're talking about! I don't know any Vince and I haven't gotten laid." I snarl and turn my back on her, focusing on turning the orange sugarpaste on that counter into pumpkins for the upcoming season.