Alternate reality

"The Dark Stranger"
© VeGirl 2014

"I need a shower before we leave." Vincent kiss me one last time before he reluctantly leaves me wrapped in the sheets.

"I assume we have running water?" I tease.

"Electricity and running water," he brags with a wide smile before he leave me.

I lay there, looking around to observe every detail in the room. The paraffin lantern on the nightstand feels like I saw it just yesterday and I try to grasp everything I have been told through over these weird few days. How can I have been away for two hundred years? Where have I been? This is a little too much for me to handle, and lost in time and space I remain staring out the window until Vincent returns, wet and smelling even better than before.

"How are you holding on?" His tone is sweet and I try to sound brave for him.

"Great." I smile.

"Thank you for trying, but it doesn't work that way. I can still see what you are hiding." He smiles patiently and suddenly my mind is filled with the most amazing view of him and me at the meadow I dreamed of. He looks at me with a huge smile. "I Vinćento Therrien take you Samira to be my lawfully wedded wife, to love and cherish as long as we both shall live."

I gasp as the image disappears like a soap-bubble and the newly showered Vincent stands before me. "We got married in that meadow!"

He smiles. "Yes, go shower now! I'll make us breakfast, we have a busy day ahead of us."

* * *

A luscious odor sifts up to the bedroom when I get out of the shower, my stomach rumble and suddenly I feel terribly hungry. I hurry to dry myself and get dressed. Since the wardrobe contain almost exclusively of dresses and skirts, I have to search for a while before I find a halfwhat simple shirt and pull my jeans back on.

"This smells absolutely divine." I sigh in bliss. "But I have to get back to work."

Vincent smiles at me with an amused face. "Not today, we have things to do." He gestures for me to take a seat by the table and put a plate with pancakes and bacon in front of me. I can feel my mouth water from the divine scent and I realize once again how hungry I am.

"Thank you." I smile as he takes the seat in front of me and dig into his own plate of breakfast equal to mine. "You are a fantastic cook."

"Thank you." He smiles and that fluttering inside of me starts all over again. I have never had that feeling last like this with any other guy, but then again; Vincent isn't just any other guy. "I thought we might pay Esme a visit."

"I can't believe Esme is here."

"Sure she is," he says as if it was the most natural thing in the world to be living in a mountain. I was afraid that I was losing my mind; well I'm not the only one. Just saying!

My eyes focus on the plate before me, but my mind is somewhere entirely different. The thought of what kind of magical phenomenon that is going on, is on a constant loop in my mind. My brooding takes such proportions that when Vincent says something, I don't hear any of it.

"I said; don't worry!"

I snap my head up and stare dumbfound at him. "What?"

"You are projecting your thoughts so loud that every man and woman in this realm will soon hear you." He has a smile glistening on his face. "Don't worry; I will soon be able to give you a few of the answers you need to know, love."