Chapter Eight: A Regular Thing That Anyone Could End Up With, Y'know?

August 5, 1961

We went back towards the school at 2:45 to leave with everyone else, like that was supposed to help the fact that we'd skipped a whole class? I just went along with what they told me.

"We've got another rehearsal at 4:15 tonight," said Paul as the rush of students busted out of the front gates, eager to go home.

I nodded.

"If you had a good time last time, the band has said they'd love to have you back again."

I smiled at my feet and looked up. "I'd love to come again."

"Emily will be there too," George scratched the back of his neck. "Maybe you two can hang out."

A shudder went through my stomach. "Ah, yes, maybe." I looked down again.

"Is that okay?" George asked skeptically.

"Yes, of course, just caught me off guard, I guess." I looked from Paul to George. "What are we gonna do till 4?" I asked.

"How about we go get some food?" Paul replied.

I shrugged. "That's good."

The two boys veered sharply around a corner and I had to run to catch up.

"How long do we have?" asked Paul.

I looked at my watch. 3:24. "About 30? 45 minutes?"

"That's good then." George opened the door to a diner to let Paul and I in. A waitress drifted up in front of us, eyeing Paul.

"Can I seat you and start you with some drinks?"

She wasn't even trying to hide the fact that she was trying to flirt and even worse, it seemed Paul's was actually playing along. I honestly wasn't surprised.

"Yes you can," Paul replied, very indiscreetly checking her out.

She smiled. "Right this way."

She led us to a booth in the corner and took our orders (flirtatiously, in Paul's case).

"She's nice," said Paul, sipping at his water.

"Sure she is," replied George, rolling his eyes.

I shook my head. "Real charmer, you are."

He smiled smugly and leaned back. "You can say that again."

The lady returned after we'd finished our food and paid with a receipt that she especially wanted Paul to see. He took it and didn't let us see.

"You'll forget her name by tomorrow, won't ya?" said George as we were walking to John's, cocking an eyebrow.

Paul raised his eyebrows quickly and bit back a smile.

George and I rolled our eyes in unison.

~~~

The rehearsal went just like it had last time, but this time I inevitably found myself chatting with Emily quite a lot. I left practically with my tail between my legs as I walked beside them. Emily was bubbly and way too flirty, but John just kinda sat there, nodding along with whatever she said.

I only looked up when she said, "what?"

John looked concerned. I guess he's nodded at the wrong thing.

"You don't want me to go to art school?"

I folded my hands and looked at me feet, trying to not listen in as John shakily explained himself, and that's when I noticed the discomfort in my throat and the dull ache in my stomach. It was a small burning every time I swallowed that I hadn't even noticed until now, sitting and thinking just about me. As for the stomachache, it was just a regular thing that anyone can end up with, y'know.