𝐨. not your ordinary girl

ZERO | NOT YOUR ORDINARY GIRL

     FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, SELINE WINCHESTER WAS AS ORDINARY AND NORMAL AS THEY CAME — HONEST! She always (mostly) listened to her parents and (sometimes) handed her homework in on time. And okay, sometimes she back-chatted and would 'forget' to do her chores. But like, these are ordinary eleven-year-old girl behaviours.

Yet, sometimesonly sometimes, to be quite clearstrange things happened to her. Things that she couldn't quite understand (and doesn't really want to understand, either). And when these things happened, she always felt that same sinking feeling in her stomach—the one that told her whatever she was doing was wrong and that she must stop ("but how?!" she'd scream at her subconscious.) And every time she got that feeling, she'd aggressively repress it because she is normal! She wasn't bloody doing anything, her mind was just playing tricks on her. . . didn't her doctor tell her to get checked for anxiety? Yeah, it's just that. After all, she didn't end up getting checked, did she? Her father had just scoffed at the doctor and denied the existence of mental illnesses ("It's just a scam to get me to open my wallet," he'd told Seline on the drive home.) Seline didn't argue, she was eight at the time and had no idea what the hell anxiety or mental illness wasit's hardly important, anyways! Seline normal and every 'weird' thing that's happened to her was just a coincidence. She had no control over it.

Like, for example, one evening Seline was just sitting in the living room watching Beverly Hills 90210. Her parents were 'talking' a bit too loud in the room next door for her liking and it made listening to Luke Perry's dreamy voice quite difficult. (Couldn't they argue about her fathers rapidly increasing work hours in another part of the house? One that wouldn't disturb Seline's TV viewing. If there's one thing the girl hates, it's people disturbing her TV viewing.)

She needed to turn the volume up but unfortunately, that would be mean she'd have to get up and grab the remote off the coffee table, which she didn't want to do. Seline had sunken so far into the couch and was wrapped up perfectly in the blanketsif she got up, she knew she'd never get this comfortable again. As she stewed over that momentarily, the television remote decided to come flying at her. She yelped in pain (and shock) as it smacked her square in the forehead, leaving an angry red mark. To say this had given her quite the shock would've been a massive understatementshe was low key traumatised from it. However, that's besides the point. The point is that she didn't do that. . . right? Seline probably wasn't paying enough attention to notice Denika throw the remote at her. . . yeah, that makes sense. (Except Denika was at a sleepover that night.)