Episode Nine

A short walk was all it took to reach the park. Though the air was a bit chilly, many adults milled around while their young ones played and decided mock hierarchies amongst themselves.

The adults had all separated into smaller groups. Jin had no idea where to go, so he found himself seated on the only empty bench. Before turning the twins loose, he gave them a stern speech.

"Be good. Do not be unkind to others. Watch out for those smaller than you."

The twins, not caring the least about his speech, their minds fully occupied with the play equipment looming behind them, dutifully nodded their heads and as fast as they could, and ran towards the slides.

Jin sat back on his bench, his eyes following the twins wherever they went. Only a few times did his eyes wander to scan the adults, looking for possible threats to his small wards' well-being.

However, his quiet surveillance did not last for long. A man, looking to be in his late twenties, smoothly slid into the vacant spot beside Jin.

"Let me guess," said the man, his voice quiet, but a smug smile on his face. "Newly divorced?"

"Excuse me?" Jin looked slowly over at the man on his left, scowling at his interruption.

"Well, we've never seen you around before. That means you're either new to the area or newly divorced. Don't think I haven't noticed all the single moms and nannies checking you out."

Jin felt his cheeks heat up and he sputtered his response. "I beg your pardon! I am not divorced!"

"Ahhhh, single dad? House-husband?" The smaller man leaned forward and looked more intently at Jin's face, making him more uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry, I don't know you. Is there something you need from me?" Jin huffed and turned away from the man, searching the playground for the two boys. His eyes darted around more quickly when he didn't see them right away.

"Relax, your boys are over there with ours." The smaller man laughed and pointed towards a small playhouse built under the largest slide.

"Ours?" Jin sighed in relief and relaxed against the back of the bench, his eyes again trained on his little responsibilities.

"Yeah! Before I forget, name's Jimin." He smiled and held out his hand towards Jin, who hesitantly shook it.

"Jin."

"Nice to meet you! Ah, that's my little guy, Jiho. He's the good looking one, because he looks like me."

Jin almost took the man's prideful comment seriously but when he saw Jimin laughing, a squeaky, bubbly sound, he felt himself laughing a bit as well.

"C'mon with me. We guys need to stick together out here. The females are like vultures."

Jimin tugged Jin's sleeve and Jin hesitantly followed along.

"I told the twins I would be on that bench," he muttered as he followed Jimin.

"Don't worry about it." Jimin looked towards the playground and waved an arm towards Jiho.

"Hey! Jiho-ah! We're right here!"

The boy, along with the twins and another child, smiled and waved.

"Alright, is that better? Man, are they your firsts? You're so protective." Jimin chuckled and motioned for Jin to sit with him at a small picnic table where another man sat.

"Mine? Oh, no."

"Hang onto that thought," smiled Jin, "meet our other group member, Hoseok."

The stranger smiled warmly at Jin and held out a hand. "Nice to meet you!"