19 Asphyxiation

Word Count: 1,588

Footsteps.

Loud footsteps.

Footsteps pounding against the castle floor.

Footsteps coming this way-

Fuck.

Keith tensed, fingers tightening over the black bayard as they neared closer, he could hear him, boots pounding over the blood rushing through his own ears, a dark chuckle lighting up the silence, the bright purple glow growing closer as the humming of electricity took over his senses. In his mind's eye, he could see him, prowling the halls, a hungry look hidden in his eyes, a sick grin plastered on his lips.

He almost couldn't take it, he almost yelled 'this isn't you' or some other sappy attempt to get him to listen.

Dammit, just listen to him, please.

But he knew it wouldn't do any good, he'd already tried reaching out to him when they'd been on the bridge, the man snapping before Keith even had the time to blink.

Lance had been the closest to him, the teen locked in his sights, and with a flash of purple and a pained yell, the Cuban was thrown against the wall unconscious, the metal doing little to break his fall as the teen crumpled to the ground, a smoking hole dead center of his chest plate, and Keith was more than sure it he hadn't been in his armor, he would've been dead.

They all shouted his name then, demanding he snap out of it.

Keith yelled for him to remember, dang it, remember who he was, please.

He didn't listen.

He just continued without even a pause.

Hunk came next in his sight next, the large teen rushing to his best friend's aid, only to be grabbed by the wrist, twisting the arm behind the teen's back. The man had learned with his next attempt. He stood there instead of immediately moving, the wristband melting under his hand, holding on to the Hawaiian's wrist until he cried out, dark skin now a bloody, red mess. The man only then choosing to throw the teen into Coran, the royal advisor's head cracking against the ground, both of them unconscious.

Allura had tried intervening then, pulling out her bayard, a frightened look clear in her blue eyes as she strung out the weapon, Pidge's own bayard wrapping around the man's leg, sparks of electricity surging forward with green-tinged sparks, the shocks barely even phasing him as he charged forward, taking out both girls with a hit to the head and chest. Both of them now lying motionless on the floor.

Keith had been closest to the door when he'd finally turned yellow-hued eyes toward him, purple fist glowing, expression blank.

Keith didn't think twice.

He ran.

But maybe that wasn't the best decision he could've made.

Because, the next thing he knew, the lights went out.

Fuck.

Keith had been dressed in his Marmora uniform when everything went to hell, the purple accents on his suit now giving a faint glow not that the lights were out, but still not doing much to illuminate the surrounding space, and a small part of him was glad he hadn't managed to get into his paladin armor instead.

Another part of him (a much larger part, mind you) screamed.

It was so dark.

He ran faster, tripping over his own shoes as he stumbled through the black halls, running blind, heart racing, blood pounding. He'd lost count of how many turns he made, deciding he'd put enough distance between them, it'd be smarter now to just crouch and wait.