THIRTY-FOUR

After school, I was called to Miss Bloomfield's office. The lady with the large rim glasses glares at me, trying to read what is going through my mind after she learns I'm pregnant.

"So, Miss Peters. I assume your role as Princess Jasmin will be difficult for a pregnant girl."

I bite my lower lips and hold my round belly. "I'm afraid someone has to play the part."

Mrs. Bloomfield let out a sigh. "It can't be helped." She sighed again. "I don't understand these teenagers when it comes to dating. Have any of you heard of protection? Condoms? I got married when I was in my thirties."

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Bloomfield." I chuckled wry.

"Principle Brown well informed me about your pregnancy, and soon you will be on maternity leave. But what of graduation?"

"I can't attend the ceremony but will receive the diploma."

Miss Bloomfield closed her eyes. "To be pregnant young and have not experienced the real world. Since you can't play Jasmine, someone else can."

"Miss Bloomfield, if I may," I began. "Effie could take my place."

"Yes, I was thinking about her. But, I do not know if she can go on stage knowing her personality."

"I can guarantee she loves to be on stage. She loves musicals."

"Mmm... I see. Yes, the day when we all went to see Hamiltonian could see the sparkle in her eyes. She was the only student more focused on the play than the others." I remembered that field trip. I took Mrs. Bloomfield's English class last year, and Effie was in the same category. She was quiet as usual, but once we took that trip to the performing art center in L. A., I, too, saw her eyes shine with excitement. At that moment, I could tell she loved musicals.

Mrs. Bloomfield went to her desk. "I will announce your replacement tomorrow in class. You may go."

Wow, that kind of pinch on my face. But it can't be helped since I'm about to pop.

"Yes, Mrs. Bloomfield," I turned toward the door until I heard Mrs. Bloomfield say it didn't surprise me.

"Oh, Miss Peters, congratulations," she said warmly.

I smiled brightly back at her. "Thanks, Mrs. Bloomfield."

I left the office and spotted Liam leaning against the wall, looking as fine as ever. Someone who is going to be a father looks this good.

I couldn't help but smile and feel I was the luckiest girl in the world.

"So, what did Mrs. B call you in her office?"

"That I'm not going to be playing Jasmin anymore." Liam took my hand as we walked hand to hand-down the hall.

"You're okay with that?" He said with worry.

I only smile. "I can't wear a two-piece costume while I dance around with our child in my belly."

Liam laughed. "Yeah, that would be quite weird."

"Anyways, I told Mrs. Bloomfield that Effie should take my place."

"Is Effie okay with that?" He asked once we reached my car.

"Well," I shift my eyes the other way.

"You didn't tell Effie, didn't you?"

"I was going to tell her the other day, but Zara needed her attention." I sighed. "I know how much she loves music, and being a minor character isn't cut out for her. She already started her singing career with Lena's company and was allowed to make a music video, but..."