Chapter Six: Expectations

Start from the beginning

"Aditi?"

"I'm up!" I cried, jerking into sitting position. There was a crack from my neck, followed by a shooting pain. "Ow," I groaned, reaching up to massage it. The corners of my mouth were caked with saliva. When I sat up, a few popcorns escaped from my cleavage and fell around me. Why was I covered in popcorn? Was I late for work?

I looked up, expecting to see my mom, ready to scold me for sleeping in. Everything came rushing back when I recognized my mother-in-law standing at the door, smiling. The space beside me was empty. Where was Vivaan? I hastily wiped my mouth and brushed the popcorn off of me.

"Still asleep?" Jayanti smiled. "Come on. Get dressed and come to the kitchen."

I nodded silently and waited for her to leave. Once she was gone, I wrapped my arms around my myself as I let everything sink in. I no longer had a home in America. This unfamiliar house in Mumbai had become my new home overnight, with people I barely knew. I'd barely see my parents anymore, they'd go back to America while I struggled here.

I tried to take a deep breath to calm myself, feeling on the verge of a panic attack. I can do this. I just need to take this step by step. I'll adjust, maybe I'll even love it here. Maybe I'll even fall in love with Vivaan.

I pushed myself out of bed and went to take a shower. I scrubbed off all remaining signs of last night, from the makeup I had slept on with, to the several hair products that had been applied in my hair. The only thing that wouldn't come off yet was the henna. I set about my normal routine, trying to find some familiarity, but in the last minute, I tamed down my spikes and tied my hair back, and skipped the eyeliner.

I slowly made my way downstairs. There were still some family members from Vivaan's side remaining in the house, there were scattered here and there, but most of them - the aunties mainly, were gathered around the dining table, chopping up vegetables and chatting.

They all paused and looked up at me as I walked past.

"Ah, there she is," one of them said.

"She's finally awake."

I noticed a few of them give me disapproving glares. So I had slept in. So what? It's not like I had somewhere to go. I ignored them and headed into the kitchen where Jayanti was toiling next to the stove. Her thick hair was slipping out of its bun, and clung to the sweat beads around her face. Every stove was on, and the air in the kitchen was ten degrees hotter. Her arms worked mercilessly to cook roti. Using a rolling pin, she'd roll one roti out as fast as she could, then pause to check on the roti currently cooking in the pan. Once that one was done, she'd slap the freshly rolled one in to cook, then she'd repeat the process.

I stared in disbelief. Seven in the morning, and Jayanti was already a sweaty mess, working hard to provide breakfast for everyone while the men - I check outside - sure enough, all the men were sitting around a table drinking tea and chatting lazily.

I cleared my throat to announce my presence. Jayanti looked at me and smile. "Oh, you're here. Go and take the vegetables the others are cutting up and cook them. Onion and tomatoes are in the fridge, masala and spices are in that cabinet, and I've already taken out the pots for you."

I looked around blankly. Okay. I can do this.

I went back to the dining room where the others handed me the diced vegetables, there were ladyfingers, peas, zucchini, pumpkin, and also cottage cheese. All this for just breakfast?

I carried them all to the kitchen and stared at them. There were five different things, and two pots laid out for me. Did Jayanti want me to cook each one separately, or together? My mom never cooked cottage cheese by itself, she always added them to a dish, so the cheese definitely had to go with something. The peas? Zucchini? Which one did it taste good with?