Chapter Twenty Four: Amelia

Start from the beginning

My grip on the knife adjusted, readying for the lunge I would make towards him.
I was ready, my eyes firm and focused, I stepped forward balancing on my toes, and then without warning someone grabbed me.

I struggled, kicking and throwing my arms around, my hand thrusting my knife at the culprit. A hand wrapped around my mouth pulling me down hard on the ground. At first I had assumed it to be another Creature, but when I was forced down on my back, a body straddling me, my eyes meet the face staring back at me. He pressed his finger over his lips, attempting to hush me. His eyes were wide, his expression stern. I continued to fight, but his grip on my wrists were far too strong for me to escape. I wriggled again one more time, my knife accidentally pulling back in my grip with one fierce swipe.
I hadn't intended to hurt him, but the second the steel of my weapon sliced through his forearm, regret washed through me. He hissed out as my knife dropped to the ground. Instantly I stopped moving, lying still as he ran his eyes over the clean slice I'd inflicted upon his skin. I waited for him to hit me, to lash out in return and lose his temper, but instead he peered over the area where the Creature was, his strength remaining to hold me down.

I paused, breathing heavy, my eyes puffy, my guilt raised. Blood dripped down his arm, the drops landing in the middle of my jacket. I contemplated wriggling, I contemplated screaming, but it would only create more of a mess. Instead of working against him, I settled down to avoid further harm.
It was quiet, extremely quiet and a minute later, Jesse's eyes returned to me, then in between me and his injury. The one I caused. He sighed and the pressure on my wrists slowly eased before he removed himself from me.

Keeping my eyes on the roof of the trees and a hint of the stars, I sighed

"You're being reckless" Jesse grumbled

"Being reckless is allowing that Creature to stroll into the camp" I mumbled back

"He's injured, he won't make it to the camp" He sat against a tree, bleeding

I sat up on my elbows and narrowed my eyes "What are you doing following me again?"

"You've been gone for nearly two hours, your boyfriend fell asleep instead of watching you"

I scoffed and watched him shake his arm, spraying blood on the leaves and ground beneath him.
Again, guilt ran through me.

I pushed myself up and avoided looking at the knife that was now soaked in Jesse's blood. My eyes were on his wound, still dripping as I moved in front of him. Responsibility fell on me. I had done this to him, I needed to fix it.
I reached out with my hand and pulled his arm towards me. His skin was cold, his blood warm against my fingertips.
I assessed the damage.
A clean slice went from the outside of his wrist to the middle of his inner arm. Blood seeped out. I pulled my jacket off and leaned forward to apply pressure, but he pulled away

"You need that jacket" He remarked

"And you need that arm.." I snapped back "I need to stop the bleeding" I told him with a sigh, grabbing at his arm again

"I'm sorry, is this not what you wanted?" He quipped, tilting his head

"You're the one who jumped me" I excused, pulling his arm on top of my leg, forcing the fabric of my jacket into his skin. He didn't flinch, he barely blinked

"Because you were being impulsive"

"I would have put him out of his misery"

Jesse continued to stare at me, his head sideways as though he studied me

"You shouldn't have spoken out there before you know?" He replied, changing the subject

"No?"

"No"