Chapter Twenty One: Ally

The moment we stormed in, John and Max turned, stunned at the raid. They froze, John with a shot in one hand and Max with another in his hand. Jesse and I held our knives in front of ourselves warningly.

"We don't want to hurt anyone" Jesse began, edging towards the men who now held their hands up in defeat. I wasn't buying it, from John perhaps, yes, but not Max. I'd seen the way Max had fought before; there was no way he was going to allow Jesse and I to make such commands without a fight.

"Where is Steven?" I asked, moving beside Jesse, my eyes fierce, serious with treat. If I needed to take either of them down with violence, then that's what I was going to do. There was no holding back here. I'd killed people like them before, now was no different.

"What are doing Arrow?" Max questioned me, seemingly ignoring Jesse

"Nora, the woman in there, get her out" I ignored his question, urging with my demands, creeping forward on my feet

"Nora?" Max repeated, playing stupid

I rolled my eyes and moved forward, pushing past Max towards the door I knew harboured a part of our original clan. I peeked through the window, Jesse keeping guard of Max and John. As expected, Nora was there, laying still, her eyes closed. I wasn't sure if she was asleep or dead, but she was pale, quiet and motionless. I shoved my knife back into my holder and pushed at the door handle. It was either locked or jammed, so I threw my shoulder into it, applying the full weight of my body. This forced it open, flying me into the room with unsteady feet. I stumbled, but quickly regained my composure to release Nora's bound hands and feet. With the rush of my hands, the noise and motion aroused her. She began to groan and move her head. She was alive.

As I reached her feet, her eyes opened and she began to realize what was going on.

"Arrow?" She grumbled, sitting up as she rubbed her forehead

"Yeah, we're getting out of here, are you okay?" I rushed out
She nodded, adjusting to the light piercing through the open door

"I'm fine" She groaned, sitting up just as I untangled her last leg tie

"Can you walk?" I asked, helping her off of the bed. She was dehydrated, her lips dry and her eyes glassy. She was dizzy, I could see her eyes unsteadying as I lifted her upwards. This was going to be a struggle. I needed to get her out; I needed to get her out as fast as I could.

As I dragged Nora out under my arm, I felt something warm and quick swipe under my chin and before I knew it, I was being dragged away from Nora by my neck.

"Don't!" I heard Jesse yell, his voice loud and firm

Nora crumpled to the ground, she was mumbling to herself, talking herself into getting up. She was being strong, being brave.
Jesse's eyes were on mine as my hands gripped onto flesh, warm flesh around my neck. I could see through the reflection of glass and mirrors in the room that it was Steven. He had his arm around my neck, a needle in his other hand, inches from the skin of my throat.

This was the something that was going to go wrong. I should have known.

"Put it down" Steven growled, his fingers shaking as his breathe ran over the side of my face

"Don't" I choked out towards Jesse

He couldn't cave, not because of me, not because of the situation. He needed to disconnect himself from his emotions, much like I had. Otherwise, not only was I screwed, but him, Nora and all of the others too.
Steven pulled on me tighter, cutting off my oxygen.

"Don't" I managed out one last time before I couldn't suck in anymore air

Jesse looked torn, yet he remained in place, he knew what I wanted him to do, but his hesitation made me nervous.