Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Toby don't do this." I almost hesitated but my wolf pushed me forward and before I knew it I was walking away from all of them.

"Go with him." Kain's voice sounded different, I knew his wolf was fighting, but I wasn't running and that should keep the crazed wolf at bay.

I felt movement at my side but didn't have to look to see who it was. I knew it was Ben. A growl escaped me and I snapped at his leg when he got to close. Part of me wanted him here, but a larger part just wanted to be free of them all.

Slowly he backed off allowing me to take the lead, even though I had no idea of where we were going, I was grateful to have the decision.

I heard the cracking of bones and a feline snarl but the sound of the running cat grew further away from us. Pierce, he let me go. I stumbled over a fallen tree, lost in my thoughts and hoping for something that wouldn't ever happen.

They were letting me go.

It hurt.

There was no apology. There'd been no explanation, no excuse. I felt a mournful howl fill my chest but I squashed it down. I needed to find my strength, needed to find safety within myself.

The stumble brought me out of my thoughts and I looked around. Where would I even go? I was still in cat territory if I wanted to run into my old Alpha, staying here would eventually bring me to him, but Beta was also there. Was it even safe? Was this the path I wanted to take?

The sun was almost fully hidden and the moon almost awake. I wanted to hide. Lifting my nose, I sniffed the area, instinct leading the way, I took off into a sprint. I wanted distance between Pierce and I. Wanted to get as far from Kain as possible. Getting out of this territory would be best for now.

Ben kept pace with me, I noticed that I was being herded by him but my nose told me that it was away from both Kain and Pierce, so I allowed him to guide me.

Pushing myself, we ran for a while. A few times I stumbled but each time Ben had used his body to keep me from falling and losing pace. When the pain became too much I slowed to a trot before having to stop completely. Panting, I tried to cool my body down while hoping to dull the pain. I hurt, but this wasn't a good spot. The area was exposed, too exposed.

Ben paced the area, trees, shrubs, and rocks. There was no covering, we would be prey to the forest. By the way, Ben was sniffing the ground and swishing his tail, I knew he felt uneasy here. I didn't feel safe either but my legs were becoming weak and the pain to much. Shakily I went to sit but Ben was beside me instantly, forcing my body up and then nudging me to walk. A low growl made its way out, the run had taken its toll on me and I was done. I needed to rest. My legs shook, my body throbbed and without warning, I felt it all just give out. With a thud, I hit the ground.

Ben pawed at me gently, but I just couldn't continue. My eyes closed, the Moon was watching me and I could feel her greedy stare on my form. My pitiful self amused her even more. Pain coursed throughout every muscle, every inch of me. I was unfit for what the day had brought and it was yet to be over.

"Toby, shift, we cannot stay here." Bens' voice sounded as if it were coming from a tunnel and I tried to obey. My wolf wasn't comfortable with the shift but instinct also screamed at me that this wasn't a safe area. Conflicting emotions and thoughts waged in me.

"Toby!" Ben shook me and growled low, and finally, I willed myself to shift. My bones cracked and as my limbs adjusted and skin shrank, fur receding, I struggled to keep my cries at bay. It hurt, everything hurt.

In an instant, I was in Bens's arms and he was running. Wherever we had stopped must have been more dangerous than I had assumed. I could hear Ben's heart pound wildly in his chest and his movements were calculated and precise, ensuring that each step was silent and stealthy. Pain and exhaustion kept my eyes closed, but for some reason, I felt the moment we left Pierces territory. It was a wave of relief, yet of instant heartache.