Thirteen- forgiveness

Forgiveness

With the California trip coming close to an end, Mary Ann was relieved to finally go back home—again. Having gone on the trip so soon after the rescue, she didn't get to spend much time with her family. Leaving the mansion would be like leaving the conflict that came with it—ultimately giving her a break.

In her room, Mary Ann gathered most of her clothes from the closet, draping them onto the bed. As she folded each piece one by one and placed them into her suitcase, she thought about last night at the hospital when Rose briefly apologized. She regretted not continuing the conversation, but it also didn't seem like the right time; The Professor's well being was top priority.

When Mary Ann came down for breakfast, Rose was once again absent from the table.

"Where's Rose?" Mary Ann asked her friends as she slid out a chair at the kitchen table, while the butler served breakfast.

"She already ate," Ginger told her. "I believe she's upstairs."

Mary Ann poured syrup on her waffles. "Is she okay?"

"She'll be alright Mary Ann," said Ginger. "We'll all be, once the Professor get's out of the hospital."

"You know, last night at the hospital, Rose was trying to tell me something, but she stopped."

Mary Ann cut up her waffle in pieces while the rest of the castaway ate quietly, with only the utensils clanking.

"Ooh, what is as it?" Ginger wondered,  Cutting her pancakes so hard she hit the bottom of the plate.

"I think it was going to be an apology."

"Finally—"

"Ginger," Mary Ann scolded. "Rose and I were both at fault. I wasn't sensitive with her feelings for the Professor. In fact, she didn't do anything wrong. Rose knew the Professor longer than I have and she's been his best friend..."

Ginger set her fork down and knife down. "Mary Ann, don't tell you're going to let Rose have the Professor?"

"Nonsense Ginger. And the Professor isn't a prize to be handed around. I just mean—"

The Skipper finally payed attention to them. "Girls, what's going on?"

Mary Ann looked at him, realizing the castaways had no idea what had happened that one night. She didn't feel like filling them in, but she knew Ginger would eventually.

"Sorry, I guess we should have taken this outside of the kitchen," Mary Ann said.

"Darling, are you and the Professor having problems?" Mrs. Howell asked.

"Their not," Ginger blurted out before Mary Ann could even open her mouth. "Everything's just fine."

But everything was not exactly fine, Mary Ann still had something's to sort out with the Professor. But that made her wonder, when would she get the chance to? With The Professor getting out of the hospital later that day, he'd still need rest and she wouldn't want to add more stress. But then then tomorrow, they were going home, in different states. The thought of separating again made her eyes tear up at the table.

"Excuse me," Mary Ann said, removing herself from the chair.

She went upstairs, wiping her eyes as she walked towards her room. When she passed by the Professor's room, she heard sniffing. Mary Ann back tracked her steps. She looked inside the crack of the door and Rose was standing by the Professor's desk, holding a notebook; Mary Ann could tell she'd been crying by her red cheeks.

"Rose?" Mary Ann said with concern in her voice when she walked in the room.

"Mary Ann," Rose said through tears. She set the notebook down on the desk.

"What's the matter?" Mary Ann asked, eyebrows arched downwards.

"I'm so sorry Mary Ann." Rose went up to Mary Ann and hugged her out of nowhere.

Mary Ann was shocked at first, but she put her arms and Rose and hugged her back.

"I was just in here helping Roy pack up his things, and I happen to see his notebook was open. I didn't mean to pry, but—oh Mary Ann, I'm sorry if you ever thought I was taking Roy from you, can you please forgive me?"

They broke apart, but Mary Ann was a little confused about the whole notebook thing. But nonetheless, Rose had apologized.

"It's alright Rose," Mary Ann said, hoping it was enough to calm her down. "I forgive you."

"Really?" Rose said.

"Really."

"I'm sorry if your trip was ruined," said Rose.

"That doesn't matter," Mary Ann told her. "Right now I'd like to start fresh. Friends?" Mary Ann said, sticking her hand out with a smile.

Rose smiled back, shaking Mary Ann's hand. "That sounds good."

"Come on, you should join us," Mary Ann offered.

"I'd be glad to, your friends are wonderful people. You are very lucky."

"Thanks Rose. I am lucky."

Rose looked down for a moment. "And Roy, he's a wonderful man and friend, I can tell he treats you well."

Mary Ann's blushed."You're right Rose, he does."

"I couldn't imagine a better person for him."

Mary Ann almost teared up. Whatever went on with that notebook must have really changed Rose.

"Come on, let's go down, I'm sure the castaways will be glad to see you," Mary Ann said.

...

That afternoon, Mary Ann was up in her room, reading a page out of her journal. Soon they'd be bringing the Professor home from hospital, but she wanted to review something before then.

It was time to tell the Professor how she really felt about him—It was time for Mary Ann to tell Roy Hinkley that she loved him.