nine-here comes the tide

Here Comes The Tide

     The Professor rolled around in bed, finding no side comfortable. He threw the blanket off because he felt too hot and uncomfortable. Then, unable to go back to sleep, he propped up the pillow against the headboard. He folded his hands together on top of the blanket, smiling about Mary Ann calling him Roy for the first time and their date at the beach. Amidst his thoughts, Professor shot up, remembering he'd promised Rose they'd talk after he came back. He felt guilt pour over him, but knew it was too late. She was probably sleeping. The moment he leaned his back on the pillow, there was knock on his door. Professor got out of bed, opening the door to Rose in her pajamas with a straight face.

"You promised," she stated.

Professor opened his mouth to speak, but Rose didn't give him a chance.

"Of all the years I've known you, you've never once broke a promise."

"I'm sorry when we came back, I got ready for bed and it slipped my mind."

Rose crossed her arms. "How could it 'slip' your mind?"

The Professor bit his lip, holding on to the door frame. He looked towards the carpet, remembering the special evening he had with Mary Ann. With her calling him Roy and their second kiss, his mind was occupied with other things than a conversation with his friend.

"Listen Rose, between the jet lag and this headache I've been having, I forgot, I'm truly am sorry."

"Fine, I'll let it slide this time," she said, a small smile forming. "Do you mind if we talk right now? It's very important."

Professor opened the door wider so Rose could step in. "Of course, I couldn't sleep well away."

When Rose walked in the room they found a spot on the edge of the bed. Professor waited for Rose to speak. Knowing the importance of the conversation, he expected it take some time for the words to form and it could be lengthy. The Professor was ready to listen, but his expectations weren't correct when Rose just blurted the words out.

"I think I have feelings for you Roy," she confessed. "Romantic feelings."

She emphasized romantic, as if there was any other kind. "Actually I don't think, I know," Rose added.

Professor didn't know what to say, even though he suspected she'd felt that way. On the other side of the wall, Mary Ann woke up, hearing muffled voices. Knowing the other human was Rose, she opened her ears wider.

"Are you for sure about this Rose?" Mary Ann heard the Professor say.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"I mean you haven't seen me in three years."

"But we've known each other since we were teenagers," Rose said.

"How do you know your feelings are not just you missing me?"

Mary Ann lifted her head off the pillow. Feelings? Did she hear that correctly or was she too tired to think clearly? She listened more carefully, holding her breath.

"You know I've admired you for years Roy," said Rose.

"Yes I'm aware of that," Professor said.