Chapter 1

"The Toronto Maple Leafs training camp held in Niagara Falls is starting tomorrow! Fan favourites Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander will be returning, as well as previous top ranking centre Ryan Fedorovich, who's making a return after a one year suspension due to his drug use," the reporter on the television said. I groaned and fumbled to grab the remote to turn it off. If I heard one more sports channel talk about my suspension, I was going to lose it.

It wasn't my proudest moment. I was young and partied hard. A few leaked pictures from the paparazzi during the off season and my hockey career was almost over. It was hard not being allowed to play for the team you've dreamed about since you were a young child.

I was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs when I was straight out of high school. I was one of the best players at the time, and I got even better from training in the NHL.

However, since I got suspended, I've had to stay away from games and practices with a team for a year. I've been working with private trainers and working out on my own, but I know it's no where near as good as being on the rink with my teammates.

"Ryan! Is this your jersey?" my roommate, Daniel, shouted from the laundry room. He was my best friend, and we had moved into an old townhouse in Downtown Toronto when we both finished high school, except he began attending university and I played hockey. Daniel was an amazing songwriter, and wrote for quite a few famous singers. He was also quite the partier, which explained why our drinks cabinet was always fully stocked and that our speaker system was always on the loudest setting.

"Depends! I can't see it from here," I answered back. I heard footsteps approaching me before a ball of fabric hit the back of my head.

"Unnecessary," I mumbled, grabbing the jersey and folding it in my lap. Daniel laughed and flopped over the back of the couch, landing beside me.

Or should I say, onto me.

"I regret living with you," I told him, shoving his head off my lap.

"Who else would make three amazing meals each day for you?" He asked, tossing a pillow at me. His curly hair was all disheveled from when he rolled onto the couch.

"I could make the meals myself. You're not even that good at cooking," I told him. That was a lie. I was absolutely shit at cooking and Daniel was one of the best cooks I have ever met in my life. Without him, I'd probably be living off instant noodles and pop tarts.

Daniel scoffed as he got up from his lying position. "Sure. Tell yourself that."

Now it was my turn to chuck the pillow back at him. He gasped as it made contact with his chest, and then dramatically fell over, his legs swinging too close to my face.

"So, Ryan," he began, slowly slouching off the couch, "Let's say you and I hit the city tonight. My classes tomorrow got cancelled, so I've got nothing to do."

"Well, I've got to get to Niagara tonight, so I can't go out."

Daniel sprung up from the ground and flashed the biggest smile. "Niagara? Can I come?"

"I mean, I'm getting a ride from Will and Auston, I'm sure you could tag along," I suggested. Daniel pulled me into a quick, tight hug, and then began running to his room.

"Ryan, you are the best! Thank you so much!" he shouted before he went up the stairs, presumably to begin packing. I sighed and looked at my jersey, now sprawled across the couch. I still had to pack, and I was the one attending an event that could make or break my career.

———

With my suitcase and duffel back stuffed to the brim, I made my way out of my room and towards the stairs, uncertain how I was going to get these huge bags down them.