I made my way out of my office and onto the department's main hallways. The hallway was always buzzing with activity, with cops in sharp uniforms rushing back and forth and the occasional sound of ringing phones. The framed awards and reminders of departmental values that lined the walls gave off an appearance of professionalism and loyalty.

The fluorescent lights above reflected off the floors' finely polished surface, creating a dazzling glow that lit up the crowded hallways. Important alerts and announcements were posted on bulletin boards, and information on current investigations and neighborhood engagement programs were flashed on digital displays. An environment that blended efficiency with a sense of togetherness was generated by the continual buzz of voices, the clatter of feet, and the faint smell of coffee from the break room.

I came into contact with Detective Mitchell. He had a reputation for being resourceful in solving challenging situations and for having excellent investigation abilities. I couldn't help but nod and smile at him cordially. "Mitchell, what brings you here this morning?"

He returned a nod and glanced at the files under his arm. "Morning, just going through a few pieces of the Campbell homicide case's evidence. How are you? Any news on the burglary at the jewelry store?"

I sighed with dissatisfaction as I handed him my personal items to put on my blazer. I elucidated as I slid my hands into the sleeves of my blazer, "Not much progress has been made, it's been a challenging investigation thus far because the evidence team came up short, but i'm meeting with an eyewitness who is Miss Mae's relative right now.

I still couldn't believe she left Miss Mae outside alone at night , I tried not to tug on the corners of my emotions, but it was sad knowing Miss Mae could have ended up hurt because of the relative's selfishness.

Detective Mitchell's eyes lit up with curiosity. "An eyewitness? That may alter everything. If there's anything I can do to help, you know where to find me."

I nodded in appreciation of Mitchell's offer of assistance. "If this lead pans out, i'll keep you informed," I happily accepted Mitchell's offer and withdrew my personal belongings from him. Then we split off, concentrating on our respective investigations. I therefore continued walking through the department's halls till I reached the outdoors.

A sense of sadness and an unsaid tension that hung thick in the air dominated the city, giving it a bittersweet mood. The weight of deterioration bore the town's architecture. The streets were littered with dilapidated structures with broken windows and peeling paint, reflecting the decayed attitudes of the locals.

The town's citizens were left with little possibilities and a pervasive feeling of negativity due to the economic hardships caused by the mafia's domination. I saw that local establishments lacked the glamour of their high-end counterparts as I strolled down the empty avenues because of the influence of criminal organizations.

I thought calling my significant other would be a nice idea, so I pulled my phone out and unlocked its screen. As I approached a crossing, I stopped to check my call records, where I spotted my boyfriend's name and clicked it. I put it to my ears and started to cross the street while waiting for it to ring a few times before landing to his voicemail. "Hello, baby I hope everything is good; please give me a call when you have time, love you,"

I hit the end call button while removing the phone from my ears. As I got closer to the bakery next door, I put the phone back in my pocket. Two men were smoking cigars as they stood outside the store. They both looked sharp with perfectly styled hair, tattoos that were evident on their tanned skin and donned sunglasses.

As I passed them, they halted their conversation. I muttered, "Loan sharks," not scared to speak it like it is. "Puttana," spat one of them, loud and clear in their native language. Without reacting, I kept going till I arrived at the bakery. I was going to get the last laugh when they are getting handcuffed in front of me.