Chapter 29

I was standing behind my desk, arms crossed, and eyes narrowed as I smelled Kieran and Marty approaching in the hallway

I was standing behind my desk, arms crossed, and eyes narrowed as I smelled Kieran and Marty approaching in the hallway. I had instructed Devin to sit on the couch the second I smelled them walking out of the elevator, and she complied. She was very determined to do what she wanted, but once I agreed to let her stay, she did as I told her to, to my relief.

I looked at her one last time before we would have company, and she smiled at me. I smiled back, and I felt a calm feeling wash over me as I heard her whispering, in her normal, almost non-existent matter.

"I believe in you," she whispered. "You can figure it out."

I sent her a slight smile, that was interrupted by Kieran's knock on my door, and I regained my serious face as I stared down the door, ready for whatever lies Marty was going to try before he would eventually break and tell me the truth. Hopefully.

"Come in," I said, almost growling.

Kieran opened the door, and pushed Marty inside with an angry look on his face, and then he shut the door. His eyes darted to Devin in surprise, and then he raised an eyebrow at me, but he didn't say anything. He pushed Marty further inside the room, and motioned for him to sit down in one of the chairs in front of my desk, while I just stared at him.

Kieran handed me a duffel bag, with a slight nod, and I knew there was blood in it. He was smart to not let Marty see it, because that would make my threats to rip him to shreds seem more real.

Marty fiddled with his trembling hands, as he looked down at the floor. He was sat in one of the chairs, and he looked like he was on the verge of a breakdown already. He was old, probably already planning his retirement. Retirement for humans was their way of getting free. If they worked hard, and behaved good throughout their lives, they got a chance to do whatever they wanted to for the remaining ten to twenty years. A small gesture of kindness. They tended to get sick and weak when they got old, too, so there wasn't much use left in them anyway.

I cleared my throat, and Marty's head snapped up to look at me. My eyes narrowed at him, and I walked around my desk. I figured I could start off easy.

I leaned against the desk, and put my palms down on it, on each side of me. I smiled at him. He smiled back, and I heard his heart beat slow down, a lot.

"So... How are you, Marty?" I asked, still smiling at him.

I heard Kieran choking a chuckle, and disguising it as a cough, which made me smile even more. That kid had more balls than I thought the first time I met him. Now, I might just end up using him as my next-in-command here for a long time.

"I-I'm fine, Sir. How are you?" Marty answered.

His eyes flickered from me, to Devin, to Kieran, and down to the floor before they rested on me again. He was visibly nervous.

"Ah, I could have been better, honestly," I started. "I have this issue, you know, with the numbers. And I was trying to figure out how they got so mixed up. Do you have anything to say about that?"