Her past as an indentured servant had become known and now they taunted her as 'slave girl'. Soon the girls would leave to rejoin their families for summer break, but she had no family, and she would be left here alone. The loneliness would be even worse than the teasing.

"You know, there be better ways to water the tree than with your tears."

Ceres knew that gentle voice, that of Amir, the old grey-haired gardener who took care of the estate landscape and the closest person she had to a caring parent. She would often help him with the gardening.

He wiped the sweat from his brow and sat down next to her. "What troubles you, my dear Ceres?"

"I don't know... Just, everything."

He nodded. "The mocking still stings, does it?"

She looked up with moist eyes. "I just want to fit in, and now soon I will be alone again."

"Not all mock you, my young assistant, you do have good friends, those who care for you. It be a sad reality that some need to tear others down to build themselves up. It be they that ultimately should be pitied."

She bent her head down. "What should I do?"

"Forgive them." Her head snapped up at his reply. He continued. "Not so much for their sake as for yours. Let it release the pain from you. The Creator God calls us to love others, even our enemies. As extraordinary as it may be, sometimes, an enemy may become an ally."

Ceres sat in silence as she considered his advice. Forgiveness was not so easy.

Amir straightened up. "I have something to ask you, my dear young Lady. We have an extra room in our cottage. Would you like to stay with us over the summer? It would be better than that dreary dorm."

"I... I have no money to pay for board."

He dismissed her concern with a wave of his hand. "Maya and I would be happy to have you. With your help, the gardens have never looked better. That be payment enough."

Phy flashed her green light above them. Amir smiled. "Yes Phy, and with your help as well."

The shimmering magic retreated as Ceres opened her eyes. Yorg took a deep breath as his fingers traced his side where the bloody gash had once been and flexed his now functional legs. He looked up into Ceres eyes with a tenderness that seemed to defy his fearsome form.

She smiled at the giant. "There, that should be better. You shall still be weak, but your strength will eventually return."

The giant stood up to his full height and gazed down at his body, seemingly still in awe of his healing. He then dropped to one knee and bowed his head toward the one who healed him.

Ceres put her hand on his shoulder. "Rise, Yorg. Go and be a blessing to this world."

*****

Waithe looked back over his shoulder. "We appear to be safe for now. Let us pull off the road under the shade of those trees and let the horses rest."

The trees not only provided a comfortable shade from the hot sun but also hid their presence from any who may pass on the road. A small spring burbling out from the rocky hillside provided cool water. They dismounted and allowed the horses to drink their fill.

Waithe hoisted Eira onto his shoulders as she rubbed her eyes, having just woken from a short nap brought on by the gentle sway of the horse.

He turned to Alden. "I must ask, what be those devices that gave such an incredible blast? Be they magic?"

Alden smiled as he puffed out his chest. "Ah, no magic, just science. The blast jars, as I call them, contain a mixture of charcoal, sulfur, and salt-peter. The mixture explodes with a great force when so confined in a vessel, the combustion is so fast." His pride deflated as he continued. "The first time I set one off near a corral, my father made me go and retrieve all the horses that ran away." He sighed and mumbled, "It took all day."

"Amazing, Alden." Waithe turned his head up to the girl on his shoulders. "Don't you think so, little Eira?"

Eira nodded, causing her long dark hair to flop into Waithe's face.

Waithe brushed Eira's hair back from his eyes, then turned to Ceres. "And you, daughter, using the vines to bind the soldiers was inspired. Saved me once again, you did."

Ceres took hold of Alden's arm and smiled at him. "It was all Alden's strategy."

Waithe looked up again. "What think you, little girl, has Alden earned a big kiss?" Eira lifted an eyebrow and tilted her head. Waithe continued. "I think so, but I shall not give him one. Might you know someone who would?"

Alden's eyes grew wide and a hint of color came to his cheeks. He stammered, "I... Really, there be no..."

The same color came to Ceres' cheeks. She grasped Alden's shoulders and placed a kiss on his lips, one that lasted hardly a heartbeat. She bent her head and leaned her forehead on his chest, the rouge deepening on her face.

Waithe rolled his eyes. "These two really need to work on their kissing. Don't you think so, little Eira? Although, I suspect they do much better when we do not watch."

The little girl just shrugged.

Ceres shot a narrow-eyed look at Waithe. "Father, must you?"

Waithe silenced her with an upturned hand. He turned his gaze toward a section of dense brush near the side of a hill and spoke in a loud voice. "Yorg, since you follow, you may as well join us."

Ceres jumped at the rustling in the brush as the giant emerged with a huff. He trudged through the understory toward the group, thick black eyebrows hid his downturned eyes in an apparent show of deference. A few strands of sparse black hair stood up from his scalp. The too-small black uniform shirt was unbuttoned and his pants came down only to the top of his ankles. Likely, Lord Scias' army did not have a uniform big enough for this giant.

He bowed before Ceres and spoke in a deep gravelly voice. "My Lady, I follow."

Ceres put her hand on his shoulder, having to reach far up despite his bowed posture. "My dear Yorg, you need not follow me. No debt of service do I require. Have you not a family or friends that may wish your return?"

Yorg shook his head. "No family, no friends. No more soldiers. Follow you, Lady."

"Yorg, you must know that our quest is a dangerous one. Even now we journey to the fearsome volcano, Grimmur. We may face Lord Scias' forces again and even the Darkness itself."

He grunted. "I follow."

Ceres turned her eyes to Waithe. He shrugged. "It would seem, my dear Ceres, that you have another protector, a very imposing one at that."

Ceres smiled. "Very well, my dear giant. Welcome you are." She introduced the group with motions of her hands. "This be my dear friend Alden. You met my father Waithe in battle. And the little girl on his shoulders be my daughter, Eira."

Yorg stood upright. Even though Eira sat on top of Waithe's shoulders, he looked her straight in the eyes. His mouth widened to a toothy smile, large even for his massive head. Eira tilted her head and smiled back.