Trials and Tribulations

Start from the beginning

I take it and sit down to fill it out.

Under the BASIC INFORMATION category, I write in my name, age, gender, and address—in New York and back in Tennessee. I also have to put down whether I am the assailant, the victim, a witness, or someone else. I check off victim.

I move on to the next column which is called PHYSICAL FEATURES OF THE VICTIM.

I check off white skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes. Then I mark down my height and weight.

The next section is about the crime I'm reporting.

PLEASE CHECK OFF ONE OR MORE OPTIONS:

VOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER
INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER
BRIBERY
BURGLARY
CHILD ABUSE/ENDANGERMENT
AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
KIDNAPPING
CHILD PORNOGRAPHY
FRAUD
DRUG POSSESSION
HARASSMENT
IDENTITY THEFT

And then I see it, near the middle of the list:

SEXUAL ASSAULT

My eyes fill with tears again. I don't even know why I'm crying. I never cry.

My mind wanders to the dark office, completely silent, not a sound in the world. I remember the feeling of his skin on top of me, pushing me down against my will. His hands clawing at my clothes and tearing them off. Me, trying to stay strong despite feeling so weak.

I check the box off quickly and wipe my eyes with my sleeve. I glance up and there are people staring at me. I take a deep breath and continue.

The next column: PHYSICAL FEATURES OF THE ASSAILANT.

White skin, dark brown hair, green eyes. I don't know how tall he is or how much he weighs so I estimate.

All I know is I'm 6'1 and he's about my size, maybe a little taller.

I give the form back to Suzanne and she takes it off the clipboard and reads it.

My hands feel sweaty as her eyes scan the page.

"Sexual assault, huh?"

I nod slowly with my head down.

"Sorry to hear that." She dials a number on her phone. "Yeah, I got a report of sexual assault." She pauses. "He's in the lobby."

"He?" A female voice from over the phone says.

"Yeah, it's a guy. He's..." She scans my paper again, "17."

"A minor? That's terrible."

"Yeah," she blows a bubble with her gum, "are you going to take it or should I call Joe?"

I can't hear what the woman on the phone says next but the Suzanne hangs up shortly after.

"Go sit, baby," she says. "A police officer is coming to take you in to questioning soon."

"Okay," I nod and sit down again.

10 minutes later, a woman with dark skin, green eyes, and long black hair arrives. She has a brief conversation with Suzanne, glances at me a couple of times, then walks my way.

"Hi Harley, I'm Detective Turner." She shakes my head. "If it's okay with you I want to ask you a few questions."

I smile weakly and follow her down a dark corridor of windows and doors. "After you," she holds a metal door open for me.