Chapter 36

Time felt like it froze as the door of Stiles' bedroom was slammed onto the hardwood flooring. Stiles held his breath watching as the wolf jumped at him, Derek jumped grabbing the wolf's throat. The color faded from the wolf's eyes taking its last breath, Derek growled hearing more making their way closer to them.

"Move now. It's our only chance."

Derek nosed Stiles and his parents out of the room. The rushed down the stairs only to be stopped at the bottom by around 10 wolves waiting for them. The sheriff pushed his wife and Stiles behind him unloading his shotgun on the wolves. The growled and whined as the buckshot spread throughout them, the flash of the shot dazing them as well. Three fell to the ground taking most of the shot, Derek snarled beginning to attack the ones left standing.

A growl came from behind the family, Stiles turned seeing a wolf standing at the top of the stairs ready to jump down on them. The sheriff trying to load the shotgun as quickly as possible, he had to keep them safe. Stiles' adrenaline kicked into overdrive grabbing the baseball bat that was leaning against the house plant. As the wolf pounced Stiles raised the bat slamming it into the wolf once it was almost on top of him. Stiles was sure he hear the wolf's skull break when it came in contact with the bat.

Stiles turned to find three wolves on top of Derek, he was having a hard time fighting them off. The sheriff looked to his son, he didn't want to shoot the wolves, scared of hitting Derek in the prosses. Stiles gripped the bat in his hands running to the clump of werewolves smashing the bat into them.

"Stiles what are you doing?! You're going to get hurt!" Derek growled finally shaking the wolves off of himself.

"Saving you! That's what I'm doing!" Stiles yelled turning to swing at another wolf. "Your mom said that the Shepherds protect the pack! They care for the pack making sure that everyone comes home! I'm doing my job!" He still wasn't ready for all of this Shepherd stuff, Stiles knew hardly anything about it, but he could feel it inside telling him to stop acting like he was useless and help. Derek was his pack, his mate, he wasn't going to just stand by completely able to help and not help.

"Stiles,"

"No Derek, don't tell me had it handled, you sure as hell didn't! We're a team! Those wolves would have torn your throat out if I hadn't helped you. So don't you dare try to turn this around on me." Stiles glared at Derek, he wasn't going to take anyone's shit right now. All he cared about was saving his parents and then getting himself and Derek the hell out of there.

A distant howl echoed through the house and everything seemed to stop. The wolves that were trying to enter the house backed away, the clicking of nails on the roof stopped as well. Derek and Stiles shared a look, that wasn't their pack that howled, was the enemy Alpha stopping his attack?

"We need to get out of here while they're not trying to attack us," Stiles said turning to his parents. "Go to the packhouse, we'll be right behind you."

"Stiles, I'm not leaving you." His father side holding onto his mother.

"I'll be okay. I have Derek. Trust me." Stiles hugged his parents watching them easily making their way out of the house and into his father's sheriff cruiser.