Chapter 13

Derek lunged at the alpha in front of him, snapping at its neck as it tried to move out of his way. Derek grabbed onto the alphas leg and began to shake it until the betas jumped him. He released his bite on the alpha and shook the beta's off of him growling at them until the backed down.

An omega that can make betas stand down. This is interesting. The alpha laughed charging at Derek, who quickly moved out of the way and bit down on the alpha's hindquarters near the base of its tail. The alpha cried out in a howl, and the betas started to run off into the forest. Derek let the alpha go and began to back into the woods himself.

Never come after me again. I won't hesitate to kill you if you do. Derek growled. He could feel his right hip beginning to bleed. They must have ripped out Stiles stitches; they probably left a more significant gash too. He was so focused on making sure he got out of there he didn't feel them even bite down on him. No time to wonder about that, he needs to get back to the cabin.

Derek looked at the sky, finding that it was getting dark; it was probably around five now then. Derek pushed himself, running as fast as he could to get back to the cabin. He was losing blood quickly, and he could feel it starting to take effect. His vision was beginning to spot. Why wasn't he healing?

You aren't healing because you've been like this for too long. You've used to much power to stay as a wolf that you can't heal. That's why the bullet wound hasn't healed all the way yet. His wolf told him. Derek remembers his mother telling him something like that when she was teaching him how to shift.

Ω∆Ω

"You know Derek, there is a lot to shifting into your wolf," Talia told her son as she sat on a rock watching him try and shift. He was fully capable of doing a partial takeover, he has been since the age of 12, but doing a complete takeover was becoming a challenge for him. His older sister Laura has been able to do a full takeover since she turned 14, though as his mother said, she was going to be the next Alpha of the Hale Pack, she was going to excel at everything. Though Derek had doubts about that, his younger sister Cora did her first complete takeover at 14 as well, Derek was here at 17 and still could only manage a partial.

"You've said that before. It still doesn't help me in shifting. If it did, I would have done it at 14 like Laura and Cora." Derek growled slightly starting to give up. Maybe he was like his father and couldn't do a complete takeover. There plenty of wolves out there who could only do a partial takeover, but his mother always said that her family was able to do a complete takeover. The Hale Pack was like that, powerful and they weren't afraid to show it.

"Come sit with me." His mother patted the rock next to her, and Derek sighed, moving to sit with her. "To be able to do a complete takeover, you have to be completely in tune with your wolf. You have to hear them the whole time, and you must be able to communicate with them. You are not alone, whether it be in a partial takeover or a complete. Your wolf is always with you. You must think about the differences between being a wolf and being a human. You must find an anchor just like everything else we do." She stood to her feet, slowly shifting into her wolf, looking at him with her piercing red eyes.

"I get that. I do. I hear my wolf; he's like a grumpy old man who's had enough of my shit five seconds after meeting me." Derek sighs, resting his head in his hands.

"I wouldn't say that, Derek. He's just another side of you that you don't see very often. Most wolves are like that. Cora, who is normally very shy and closed off to other people, is a completely different person when she is in her complete wolf. Laura, who is very bubbly and energetic, is a dire and cautioned wolf. She's always looking for the best option to lead and make sure everyone makes it out safe. You have to agree with your wolf, what kind of wolf are you? Who do you want to be known as when you are a wolf?" Talia says, watching her son. She knew that he could do it, he was struggling, but Derek would be one of their strongest when he does manage a complete takeover.

"I want to be known, not just as Talia Hale's son, not just as Laura Hale's younger brother who got passed up to be the next Alpha, I want to be Derek Hale, I want everyone to know that no matter what, my pack, always comes first and I would rather die before letting my pack down. I want to be known as someone who isn't weak; I've worked for what I have. I want to be known as my person, my wolf, but someone who won't just give up when the going gets tough." Derek sighed, looking at his mother, who he was pretty sure was smiling.

"Try again, my son." Derek looked at her in confusion before standing to his feet. Derek began to listen for his wolf, waiting for it to answer his call.

"What do you want, kid?" His wolf asked. See, a grumpy older man who was already tired of his shit.

"I want. I want to be my person. I want to be able to help my pack with my full potential. I want to work with you to protect our family." Derek tells his wolf.

"About time." That's when he felt it — the feeling of becoming a wolf. The hair on his body began to grow and change into fur, and his ears grew, his fingers and toes changed, he felt a tail begin to grow. Derek blinked a few times after the feeling had ended, he looked at his mother who now faced him with a smile.

"You've done it, my son. You've mastered a complete takeover." Talia said, nuzzling her son's face with her own. "Come, let's run."

"Race you," Derek smirked before taking off with his mother chasing after him. He howled with glee, and his pack cried back now, knowing of his achievement. He could feel the rest of his pack beginning to run with him and his mother now.

Ω∆Ω

Almost there, Derek, you can do it. He thought to himself, seeing the cabin come into his vision. It was hard to see, his vision filled with so many black spots, and he was beginning to limp so much that he couldn't put weight on his leg. He made it into the small yard and tried to bark as loud as possible, hoping for Stiles and Scott to hear him.

Derek crashed face first into the ground his vision going completely black. He takes all of the energy that he has left in him and howls. His hearing is going, but he could hear footsteps from the house and Stiles calling his name.

"Beta!" Stiles cried out as Derek finally lost consciousness. He made it back to Stiles, that's all that mattered.