Chapter 33

Temah Amoah's POV.

"Temah, are you sure about this?" Curtis asks me, skepticism flooding his face.

"Yes, Curtis" I'm sure, I say, nails gripping my seat as I take deep breaths.

"Did you tell Doug?" He asks, raising a brow.

I give him a small smile.

"It's a surprise" I respond and Curtis' eyes widen.

"What, are you trying to get me killed?! Is that it?" Curtis asks sarcastically, but I can see underneath that he's actually a little fearful.

"Boy, if you don't shut up and just give that girl a haircut, I'm gonna kick yo' ass! Damn! She done told you it's what she wants!" Timothy, Curtis dad, finally exclaims.

People standing around the barbershop murmur and chuckle in agreement.

It's a couple of days until my trip to London with Douglas, and I want to switch up my style a little.

That means new clothes and new hair.

"I, for one, think it's gonna look stupid!" Gemini, my cousin exclaims, excessively.

"Girl, shut up! Ain't nobody ask fo' yo' gotdamn opinion, shit!" Khaden scowls, rolling his eyes, making people cackle with laughter.

"Shit, am I late?!" Gideon asks, bursting through the door.

"Nigga, she's getting a haircut, not poppin' a baby, chill!" Kofi responds and Afia chuckles.

"Curtis, just cut my hair!" I exclaim, bursting with nerves.

I've never cut my hair this short before and I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Curtis nods and everyone goes quiet.

He picks up the scissors and parts my hair, grabbing a handful and I hear the scissors open and snap shut over my head.

"Shitt!" Kianna gasps and Aleya nudges her, telling her to shut up.

Curtis cuts and cuts again and again, clumps of my kinky black hair falling to the ground around me, my head starting to feel lighter.

Curtis puts a hand over my ear gently to protect it, and runs the scissors over the tiny spaces in between.

And then he picks up the electric razor.

"You good?" He asks. 

I take a deep breath and nod.

"I'm good. Go ahead" I say.

He nods and tilts my head forward so that he can start from the back, and work his way to the top.

I feel the razor touch scalp and it's then that I really realise that there is actually no going back.

Shit!

"Tems." Curtís says, looking down at me, while I'm still seated.

"Yes?" I ask.

"You're dome" he says simply.

He has a big grin on his face and I look around, gauging the reaction of the people around me.

They all look shocked, some of them just waiting on my reaction.

"You ready to see?" He asks.

I take another deep breath, and nod my head yes, not trusting myself to speak.

"Igh. 3... 2... 1!" He counts down, before flipping my chair and letting me catch sight of myself in the mirror.