And the World Came Crashing Down

Hey everyone!! I must say, I love the name of this chapter and it pretty accurately hints about the mood we all went through last chapter and possibly what Tony might go through in this chapter...

ANYWAYS foreshadowing aside, thank you all so incredibly much for the love and support as always <3 Not to mention the response from last chapter! Hearing how much everyone wants to start a riot against Obadiah was fantastic and highly amusing lol Trust me, I'm in that boat with you!! Good luck handling today's chapter ;)

Have fun and stay safe❤🧡💛💚💙💜

---

The car is quiet as Obadiah drives and Peter sits in the backseat. Obadiah makes no move to initiate a conversation, he just silently drives towards their destination. Peter kicks his feet back and forth and tries to look out the windows. If he were in his booster seat, he would be able to see out. But this is a different car. It isn't Tony's.

"Obi?" he calls to the front seat. He doesn't notice Obadiah's hands tighten around the steering wheel.

"Yeah, Squirt?" Obadiah makes his voice sound as pleasant as he can.

"I'm not in my seat." Peter scooches forward to try to get a better look at Obadiah.

"It's okay, it's a short drive," Obadiah assures. The last thing he wants to do is talk to this kid more. He has spent more time getting on Peter's good side than he'd ever wanted to. Than he'd ever meant to.

"Where are we going?" Peter asks curiously, only adding to Obadiah's impatience. Obadiah is about to answer, but stops himself. Instead, he chooses to take advantage of the moment.

"I hate to tell you this, but I was talking with Tony, you might've heard us shouting..." He lets his voice slow to a stop, a slight smirk on his lips.

"Yeah... Is, is Daddy upset?" Peter questions desperately. The word makes Obadiah want to grind his teeth. Since when had Tony allowed Peter to call him dad  of all things? He let this go too far.  What an idiot.

"He is," he continues to feign regret. "You see, he isn't great at the whole dad thing, Squirt." Peter tilts his head to the side in confusion.

"But he said he's my Daddy," the toddler firmly counters. Obadiah can't help but roll his eyes. Luckily, Peter can't see him anyways.

"I'm sorry, Peter, but he lied," he states simply. His tone is still light so it seems like he pities the kid. As if.

"Daddies don't lie," Peter argues with a shaky voice. Obadiah sighs dramatically.

"He's not your father. He was only a temporary guardian, which is why I have to take you back," he adds enough pity to his voice for it to come off convincingly.

"Back?" Peter whispers.

"To the agency. I don't want to do it, but," Obadiah sighs again, "Tony didn't want to do it himself. I tried to tell him to keep trying, but he wouldn't listen. He just doesn't want you." Peter's entire world seems to shatter. For some reason...his heart hurts. The same kind of hurt when his mom and dad left. Tears quickly fill his eyes and spill over onto his rosy cheeks.

"But...he promised." He sniffs and tries to hold back the sobs, which turn into hiccuping cries.

"Now don't cry, Squirt," Obadiah distractedly comforts as he searches for a parking spot. "You didn't do anything wrong. Tony's just not a nice person. I'm sure you'll find a much better home."

"I want Daddy! Come back, Daddy! Daddy, come back!" Peter freely cries, rubbing his cheeks with his palms and gasping in breaths.

"For Christ's sake," Obadiah mutters in frustration, but finally finds a parking spot along the curb. Meanwhile, Peter cries loudly in the backseat, begging for Tony.