Buy Your Love

Notes:

Hey all you wonderful people! Thank you sooooo very much for all the support! I really love seeing how much you all react to the story and throw out your theories :) As you can probably tell, we're starting to get more soft Tony! We have a particularly dense chapter today and I know you're eager to see what happens with Obadiah, so please enjoy this roller coaster of a chapter filled with more Irondad, suspense, angst, and hurt/comfort!

Have fun and stay safe! ❤🧡💛💚💙💜

---

With his newly gelled hair, Tony accepts all the delivery boxes at once, having Rhodey hold Peter as he does so. Rhodey carefully watches the boxes come in one by one, but Peter asks the question before he can.

"Why do you want so many boxes?" Peter questions Tony as he comes in with yet another box.

"They aren't for me, Pete. They're for you." Tony lowers the box to the ground and stretches his arms above his head. Aging is ridiculous, he isn't old enough for back pain.

"Me?" Peter tilts his head to the side. "I don't want boxes, Tomy." Rhodey chuckles. What a cute kid. Meanwhile, Tony uses a kitchen knife to cut the tape of the last box he carried in.

"You'll want what's inside," he promises as he pulls out a dark blue, fuzzy blanket. Peter's eyes immediately widen in awe and he instinctively reaches toward it with grabby hands. Tony smiles slightly and walks it over to the kid. As soon as the plush blanket is within reach, Peter lets his head drop to bury his face in its softness. Both the men laugh at the action as Peter rubs his face over the material. Tony wraps the blanket over Peter's shoulders and pats his back before turning back to the boxes. Peter lays his head down on Rhodey's shoulder and enjoys the warmth of his new blanket. "And I got more toys, books, bedsheets, cups, plastic plates, the whole shebang." Tony pulls out one of the parenting books he bought along with a chest carrier.

"Is that...a toddler carrier?" Rhodey asks accompanied by a laugh. With narrowed eyes, Tony nods.

"As a matter of fact, it is," he answers curtly. "I had the front modified so it doesn't affect his hips. I read that baby carriers can hurt their hips and there's no way in hell I'm hurting this kid." Without further explanation, he starts strapping the odd contraption to his chest.

"Wait, why are you putting it on right now?" Rhodey questions skeptically. If this is going where he thinks it's going...

"I told you, he's coming with us. Can't lose him if he's strapped to my chest." Tony's nonchalance only adds to Rhodey's frustration. Why couldn't he have a normal best friend? No, he gets the psycho, billionaire best friend who adopts kids for good publicity. Tony ignores Rhodey's stare and chooses to pick up a parenting book to bring with him.

"That's not a great idea, Tones. This is a meeting, not a daycare. You know how serious Obadiah-"

"If Obi wants to complain about something he talked me into, then he can go be a hypocrite somewhere else for all I care," Tony interrupts, his voice monotone. When he manages to get everything buckled into place, he gestures for Rhodey to bring him Peter.

"We're gonna see Obi?" Peter asks hopefully as he's passed to Tony. They easily fit the toddler into the carrier and use the blanket to make sure he's comfortable.

"We are but we gotta be quiet, okay?" Tony says in a hushed voice and puts his finger to his lips. Peter copies the action and shushes for effect.

"Bery quiet." Tony smiles in content, then turns his attention to the ceiling.

"Hey, J.A.R.V.I.S., do I have anything else scheduled for today?" He briefly considers canceling everything before he knows what's planned, but he doesn't want Pepper to kill him either.