Chapter Twenty-Nine

I had expected Niall to become a bit wary after last night’s unexpected and emotional confession. Even I had to admit, after mulling over the memory, it would have been quite a chunk of information to digest. But for what seemed like the millionth time, Niall managed to surprise me.

It was just before eight in the morning when our phone’s shrill ring coursed through the flat, causing me to dump a splash of hot tea across my lap, burning my hand and thighs in the process. I dried my scorching skin and answered the phone simultaneously, “Hello?”

His voice, deeper and raspier than usual, sounded through the speakers. “Morning, Ness.”

“Niall?” I asked dubiously, picking up my tea carefully and making my way towards the living room. “Why on earth are you calling me so early?”

“I forgot to ask you something last night,” He confessed, his morning voice still prominent and irresistibly sexy.

I took a small sip of my tea and raised my eyebrows, “Oh?”

“Yeah, um,” The noise sounding from the background of the phone momentarily distracted him. “We have a show in London tomorrow.”

“Oh, that’s cool. I’d love to see you guys play.” I smirked slightly into my mug when I heard Morgan’s door slam. Niall would probably have to pay later for waking her up with his early morning phone call.

He seemed a bit anxious. “We have a rehearsal today and you can come watch if you’re interested.”

I tore my attention away from my tea a bit abruptly. “You want me to watch you rehearse?”

“Yeah, it’s always fun,” I could hear the amused smirk that must’ve been present on his face with my reaction.

“Are you sure that’s okay?” I asked, nerves bubbling in the pit of my stomach.

“Yes,” He chuckled lightly. “Everyone with be there and there’s catering and stuff.”

My top row of teeth bit down onto my lower lip. “If you really want me there.”

“Of course, everyone does,” I could practically see him grinning through the phone. I heard his name called in the background of the phone. “Look, if you wanna go I’ll come get you in half an hour.”

“Alright,” I sighed, trying unsuccessfully to mask the excitement that crept up my spine. “Guess I’ll see you then.”

“Brilliant,” He exclaimed happily. “Lo—…Can’t wait to see you.”

His stutter halted my own parting halfway up my throat. I had to force myself to choke out the words. “Y-You too, Niall.”

My blue eyes gazed down at the silver handheld as I ended the call, not believing what I’d heard, or nearly heard. I must have imagined it. My ears still weren’t fully accustomed to his strong Irish dialect, so it’s quite possible he stopped himself from saying something entirely different than what my ear picked up. Or at least that’s what I would make myself believe.