Chapter Nineteen

I was never late for things.

That’s why when I gradually awoke and glanced at the time on my clock, my heart went into a complete frenzy. The time read 12:01 and Niall and I agreed on him picking me up at 12:20.

I’d practically launched myself out of bed, completely out of sorts that I’d even slept in that long. Knowing I only had 20 minutes to get ready, I grabbed the closest pair of jeans I could find and wrapped my legs into them.

I yanked my favourite purple TNA sweatshirt over my head, attempting to calm my hasty heartbeat. One of the things I hate most is tardiness, and I couldn’t deal with myself if I was the one who was tardy. Niall was going to pick me up for lunch, and then I’d head back to get ready for a special evening with Morgan.

I yanked a brush through my matted curls, softening them into waves that trailed down my back. I noticed sleeping lines from my pillow imprinted my face, and I did my best to cover them up with concealer. Why I had chosen this particular day to catch up on my sleep was beyond me.

Not a full two minutes had passed since I flung myself out of my bedroom when I heard a light knock on the door.

As tranquilly as I could manage, I answered the door. Niall appeared on the other side, looking impeccable as always. His blonde hair shaped his face in ruffles, giving me the urge to reach out and touch it. He wore a pair of tan pants that hugged his waist, and a white button-down shirt. I’d been so distracted by his appearance that I’d forgotten how he had been awkwardly standing outside of the door.

“Are you going to let me in?” he said, chuckling.

“Oh!” I said, slowly returning from my daydream. “Sorry,” I said, shifting to the side to let him passed.

“Side-tracked?” he asked, his eyebrows rising cheekily.

“A tad.” I admitted, grudgingly. I giggled, and reached out to pull on a coat.

I thought I saw him blush slightly under his pale exterior, but I could have been wrong. “Is Morgan here?” he asked.

“Hmm,” I said, not realizing I hadn’t seen her in my chaos of getting out of the door. “She must be in her room,” I said, sluggishly making my way to her door.