Chapter One

Ever since I was a little girl I had always found the familiar scents and tastes of our local coffee shop alluring. Although many people seemed to prefer the crowded Starbucks across the street, there was something about the shop’s plainness that fascinated me. Whether it was the low murmur of voices or the sweet, enveloping aroma of vanilla, there was something about the place that made me feel at home. I’d always visited the shop to clear my head from everything that was going on in my life. Perhaps it was the shop’s usual emptiness that had allowed me to do so. Needless to say, I was a fairly popular customer.

                I sighed aloud, remembering how currently, my sister Morgan was in the living room, hooking up with a guy she was much too good for. Although I was extremely tempted to interrupt their little ‘session’, I acted responsibly and decided against it. Instead, I slammed my bedroom door so I wouldn’t have to listen to her anymore. Although I was used to her bringing home guy after guy, I constantly questioned why I ever decided to share an apartment with her.

Even with the small fits of anger that often developed between us, no one could doubt that Morgan and I got along so well. I was closer to her than anyone else. Even though we do look oddly similar, she and I were complete opposites. Everything we did completely opposed the other—I suppose it stared with the way we both grew up from a particularly rocky childhood. While she brought home every guy in the neighborhood, I myself never became particularly involved with guys. I didn’t want just a hook-up or one night stand. As cliché as it sounds, I wanted someone who truly cared about me, someone who I could fall in love with. Anyhow, I guess Morgan and I are prime examples of the whole ‘opposites attract’ thing. I guess it didn’t just apply to romance.

Perhaps it was my particular irritableness of that evening, but for some reason I couldn’t handle listening to the kissing noises any longer. To elude the awkwardness that would come from using the front door, I climbed out the window of my bedroom and descended down the metal staircase. I wanted nothing more than to be in the comfort of my favourite place in the world.

The lighting outside was dim, as it had just begun to lightly snow. As I climbed down the staircase I watched the snow melt as it hit the black asphalt of the road. I dashed across the busy intersection quickly towards the shop. Thankfully, it looked primarily empty, creating the perfect scene for me to just melt away in my thoughts.

As I walked in, the familiar bell sounded, announcing my arrival. I immediately sat in my favourite table in the corner, right next to the newspaper stand. The place seemed quieter than usual. I looked around and found that the only other customers there were five young boys. I grabbed a newspaper and begun to read.

I looked up from my paper to see all five boys staring directly at me. Three of them were brunettes, one blonde, and one with black hair, almost as dark as my own. They were all strikingly handsome. My cheeks turned the brightest shade of crimson as they all immediately looked away after meeting my gaze. All accept one boy with chocolate brown, straight hair that elegantly flopped to the side. He just laughed and stared back at me with his cobalt blue eyes.

I wondered what had been the big commotion. After I sharply looked away, I felt my self-consciousness kick in. I nervously bit at my stubby fingernails, as I tried to figure out what they had been staring at. I left the shop quickly afterwards; worrying that there was something on my face or something like that. I groaned—sometimes I wish I was less flighty and braver like my sister. How quickly I turned my safe haven into a boiling pot of instability.