Chapter Fifteen

I felt myself staring into the mirror for a long time, picking up certain details I would’ve otherwise never noticed. My long brown hair fell into loose waves down my back, a pink bobby pin keeping my side bangs out of my face. I was wearing one of my favourite sweaters—one Morgan had given me. It was a simple purple hoodie, but it was by far one of the comfiest things I’d owned. My bright blue eyes twinkled; something I haven’t seen them do in a long time.

I found myself chuckling before I had the sense to stop it. One night had employed such a huge difference in me, and I was not complaining. I found myself smiling at random points in the day, and I was just a happier, lighter person. To think the root of this spontaneous pleasure was simply spending one night with a boy was ridiculously comical.

I still questioned how I was able to break every single rule I had for myself in one night. Every action I engaged in was more reckless than the last. Working on impulse was something almost completely new to me, and although it still frightened me a little, I was glad Morgan urged me to in the first place.

After such a wonderful kiss in the middle of the street, snow blinding us in every direction, Niall joined hands with me and walked me home. My smile was practically printed on my face, as was his. I stared mostly at him, every so often looking at the snowy ground. My heart amplified to twice its usual size each time we’d connect eye contact. We walked in silence; nothing needed to be said.

He shocked me when he gently brushed his lips against mine again once we were on my porch. He whispered to meet him for brunch the following day. I only response I could muster was a nod, and he left with a grin and a flirtatious wink. I stood outside my flat for over five minutes before I could lesson my smile and force my hands to open the door.

Morgan bombarded me as soon as I got in the door. The cheesy smile plastered on my face practically gave away the entire evening. She started squealing and jumping with excitement for the both of us. ‘I told you so’ and ‘you should’ve listened to me sooner’ flooded from her mouth. I didn’t deny her; she couldn’t have been more right.

It was an odd feeling waking up, and realizing that last night wasn’t just a figment of my imagination. I replayed the night in my head, including the kiss, and found it difficult to peel the smile off of my face afterwards.

I stepped out of the room, only a few moments before I had to meet up with Niall. Morgan was flipping through television channels with a bowl of Fruit Loops planted in her lap. “Going somewhere?” she said, still beaming.

Guilt washed over my face; I probably should have told her sooner. “Yeah,” I said, constructing myself a cup of tea. “Niall asked me to have brunch with him.”