III) Prologue: Superheroes

PROLOGUE: SUPERHEROES

      MELISSA RYANS WALKED DOWN HER APARTMENT'S floor, dragging her feet across the tiling

MELISSA RYANS WALKED DOWN HER APARTMENT'S floor, dragging her feet across the tiling. Her handbag hung at her side, being dragged across the floor as Melissa made her way to her small apartment.

She tiredly pulled up her bag, digging through it to find her keys. Her eyes drooped as each second passed.

Melissa fumbled with the selection of keys, finding her small silver one and shoving it in the lock. The blonde quickly removed it and shoved the plain white door open, stepping into her small apartment. She dumped her black bag by the doorway and tore her glasses from her pale face.

A tired sigh escaped her pink lips and she took her hair out of the messy bun it was in. Her blonde hair bounced down, flowing gacefully down her back.

Melissa shuffled through her apartment, falling onto her couch.

"Long day?" a soft voice asked.

Melissa groaned in response before rolling onto her back, resting her hands on her stomach.

"So... Is Superhuman taking the night off?"

Melissa nodded and finally moved her crystal blue eyes to the woman that took a seat at the end of the couch. "Not all of us are super intergalatic heroes that don't need jobs, Carol."

Carol laughed, her face bright with glee. Her smile was wide and it made Melissa's lips flip upwards as she admired the woman.
Her short blonde hair was straight and reached just below her shoulders, the way Melissa had claimed to like. She wore a white top, a small logo printed in the middle which was accompanied by black leggings.

"You work as an assistant, Lissa," Carol said with an amused tone. "I don't imagine that to be difficult."

"Well, it is!" Melissa claimed, sitting up. She rubbed her tired eyes, a sigh escaping her mouth. "What are you actually doing here Carol?"

Captain Marvel tilted her head, her hair falling to one side.

Melissa broke into a smile when she saw the woman's confusion, finding it adorable when Carol became confused at something she said or questioned.

"I mean... Not that I dislike you being here its just that you haven't been here in a while-"

Carol's mouth shaped into an 'O' when she worked out what Melissa was trying to ask.

"I'm truly sorry for not being able to visit by the way," Carol started, reaching forward and grabbing Melissa's pale hand. "I would more often if I could."

"Hey, visting every few months is good... Fine by me at least," Melissa shrugged, giving Carol's hand a reasurring squeeze. "But you usually work on a clock. Every two months on the 16th..."

Carol laughed softly, thinking of how regular her visits became, following the schedule. Being Captain Marvel restricted it, making Carol only be able to see her fellow blonde every two months.

"I mean, not that I don't like you being here..." Melissa quickly added, feeling like Carol was taking it the wrong way.

Carol's eyes were soft towards Melissa, admiring her awkwardness with pursed lips.
Melissa's awkwardness was definitely Carol's favourite trait in the young girl, apart from her abilities, heat vision being Carol's personal favourite.

"Melissa, you talk too much," Carol's comment made Melissa's pale cheeks fade into a faint pink. This made the intergalactic hero's smile expand.

In reality though, Carol was trying avoid telling Melissa their visits and get-togethers were going to have to possibly come to a stop.
Recently, Carol was called to a distant part of the galaxy. A part of the galaxy that wasn't anywhere near Earth, meaning she wouldn't be able to visit routinely.
She was unsure of why she was called to that part, but she had concluded that it was probably an important reason.

Carol was afraid because she didn't know how well they'd be regarding this mission she had. She was afraid it might damage their relationship or purely destroy it.

"But... yes... there is a reason I'm here," Carol sighed, moving her hand from Melissa and placing it in her lap, fiddling with her fingers.

Her mind raced as it tried to figure out a way to tell her beloved and not hurt her too much. However, was there really an easy way to tell someone you want to breakup with them?

Melissa tilted her head this time, pursing her lips as her eyes scanned Carol's expression. She instantly saw the distress and anxiety picking at her facial features as Carol's gentle and reassuring eyes focused on her lap.

"What's wrong?" Melissa questioned, reaching out only for Carol to jump to her feet. The blonde alien-human hybrid quickly retracted her hand, staring up at Carol with her lips parted slightly.

Melissa picked up on Carol's heart beat speeding up with her super hearing, noticing her chest rising and falling quickly as well.

"I've been called to a distant part of the galaxy, Lissa," Carol blurted out, not knowing any easy way to say it. "And... And I don't think our relationship will be able to survive-"

"Carol, what are you... What are you saying?" Melissa rose from the couch, feeling tears surface in her blue eyes.

"I-I..." Carol's voice was shaky, her heart heavy as she prepared herself to say it. She truly loved Melissa and she wasn't ready to let her go but it was probably for the best. "I'm saying... I'm saying we should take a break... At least until I complete this mission."

Melissa's heart sank and broke in her chest, she could of sworn she heard it shatter. But judging by Carol's expression and hurt eyes, she wasn't glad about the decision either.

"Wha-what... Carol..." Melissa was speechless, she truly thought Carol was the one and that they'd be able to maintain a healthy relationship, obviously she was the only one though.

💥💥💥
A/N
I am well aware that this is a shitty prologue but, this is basically how this character interlocks with the series I'm creating and how she knows SHIELD and joined the Avengers.

I say this because, in the next books that I'm writing, I wanna mention Melissa or 'The Superhuman' in them and reference her as well. I will write a story later on based off of the Captain Marvel movie that includes Carol and Melissa relationship and how they met etc etc

But, I hope you like this story and enjoy the first book in my little Marvel series haha