48 - Ronald "Red" Daniels

Start from the beginning

"Well, it looks to me like they didn't find us because we didn't wake up to any gunfire last night, so what if she found them?" Stiles suggested.

"We gotta tell Pierson." Zuss began to walk away.

"Zussman, wait," Aiello blurted out, makin' Zuss turn around.

"What the hell do ya have to say now, Aiello?"

"I just feel like tellin' Pierson ain't gonna do anything. Think about it: the guy has always treated her like crap. He'll think of it as a waste of time to go lookin' for her."

"I'm not gonna sit around while she could be in danger, alright? All of her guns are right there which means she has nothin' to protect herself with. I don't even want to think about what those damn Krauts could do to her."

"Alright, Zuss, go ahead and tell 'im. But let me ask you this: what the hell you gonna do when he says we ain't gonna go lookin' for her?" Aiello crossed his arms.

"Fuck it, maybe I'll run off and look for her myself."

"What a great idea," Aiello said sarcastically. "Good luck with that, lover boy."

"Crap, here he comes." Stiles quickly stood up. I looked past where Zuss was standin' in front of me to see Pierson comin' towards us. I stood up straight and got ready for whatever order will most likely just be thrown my way.

"Is that Finley with him?" I heard Aiello mumble.

Sure enough, Private Finley was walking alongside him, holdin' his hands behind his back with his eyes focused on the ground. Now I began to really worry, especially since I'd never seen Pierson and Finley say a word to each other. After all, as Pierson would probably say, he doesn't care to get to know the new recruits.

"Mornin', Sergeant," I was the first to greet him as soon as he reached us, only earnin' a glance from him.

He turned his attention to somethin' on the ground and when I followed his gaze, I realized he was lookin' at L/N's belongings.

"Goddamnit..." Pierson mumbled before looking back up at us. "Have any of you seen L/N?"

"No, sir," each of us replied.

"She's missing, sir," Zuss said in a low voice.

"Just great," Pierson said sarcastically before looking over his shoulder at Finley behind him. "Well, don't just stand there, Private. Show them what you found."

"Sorry, sir," Finley quickly said before steppin' up and holdin' out a helmet he had been hiding behind his back.

I examined it and realized it wasn't just anyone's helmet; it was L/N's helmet with the photos that are important to her, still bein' held tightly by the strap around it.

"Where'd you...where'd you find this, Finley?" Zussman took the helmet from him and stared at it. I wasn't sure if it was 'cause of the cold of the mornin', but he looked paler than usual. His knuckles were white from how tightly he was grippin' the helmet.

"Not too far from here, actually. I could show y-."

"Did you find anything else?" Zuss cut him off.

"I...uh...also found a lot of blood." Finley looked at the ground, almost scared for Zussman's reaction.

"You think she's still out there doin' her business now, Aiello?" Zuss suddenly charged towards Aiello, shoving him with one hand. "I knew somethin' wasn't right!"

"HEY!" Pierson yanked Zussman away from Aiello and got up close to his face, holdin' 'im by the collar of his coat. "You better calm the hell down, Private, or I'll calm you down myself and send you face first in the snow. I know you don't want that."