Then my eyes shifted to Melisande and I saw that she was trying to use her magic to heal him.

"Get away from him!" I told her as my healer instincts kicked in.

"I'm saving his life!" Melisande growled.

"No, you're killing him!" I hissed, "Faerie magic doesn't heal vampires!" I shoved her out of the way and pulled the arrow out of his back. I knelt down next to him and bit into my wrist. I held it to his lips and let my blood flow into his mouth. He stirred and his eyes flew opened. He pulled away from my wrist and gasped for air.

He coughed and turned to me.

"Thank you, love," he told me.

I kissed his cheek.

"What happened?" Calder asked.

"I'm not sure," Gabriel replied, "I was just getting ready to train with Melisande when something hit me."

Calder examined the arrow and smelt the wood.

"Well it was dipped in Hawthorn ash," Calder stated, "So whoever shot you knows exactly how to weaken vampires."

"Hawthorn ash doesn't kill us though, so assassination must not have been the goal," Starlene noted.

"Then why did they shoot Gabriel?" Maricara asked.

"To send a message," Gabriel replied, "To remind us that none of us are safe here."

"But why did they shoot you?" Maricara asked.

"Because I'm training Melisande to kill Nysa," Gabriel replied.

"So it had to be a faerie from Nysa's forces," Starlene reasoned.

"We should tell Tatiana to tighten security," Leon suggested.

"A lot of good that will do," Starlene said as she rolled her eyes, "The very fact that Gabe was shot out here, shows that Tatiana's security isn't very effective."

"I know, love, but Leon's right," Calder state, "We should still tell her. I know Tatiana isn't exactly your favourite person right now_"

"Of course she isn't! She refused to release Gabriel from the contract!" Starlene growled.

"I know and I'm just as angry about that as you are," Calder assured my sister, "But we aren't like her. We should tell her out of courtesy."

"Fine," Starlene relented.