Birthday

You arrived at the house, all the lights were off.
Is he even home?
Everything was quiet, the only sound you heard was the crickets' chirps.
Carefully, you opened the front gate & crossed the lawn to get into the house.
You walked in quietly from the back door through the kitchen & saw the small table lamp in the living room was on.
Taehyung was sitting alone on the couch, his head was lowered & you could hear his sniffs.
"Taehyung ah?" You gently called out his name.
He quickly hid the thing he was holding in his hands behind him & wiped away his tears upon hearing your voice.

"Y-you're home?" He turned around & smiled at you, but his eyes were swollen & his nose was red

"Yes. Sorry, I didn't know that it was your birthday. Kang jibsa called me earlier & told me about it." You avoided mentioning the elephant in the room, him crying over something you didn't know.
"Oh, she did? It's no big deal, it's just like any other day. Did you enjoy the movie?"
"Yeah, I did. Btw, have you eaten?"
"I have." But his stomach betrayed him & let out a loud rumble causing both of you to laugh.
"Wait here, I'll cook something up for you." You smiled at him & walked to the kitchen.
"Let me help you.." He began to rise from his seat, but you pointed a finger at him telling him to stop.
"Uh uh, just sit there birthday boy. Dinner will be ready soon."

"Taehyung ah, come here. Dinner's ready." You called out to him while taking off your apron.
"Thanks." He said as he sat down at the dining table. Then suddenly, he froze.
Staring at the miyeok guk (seaweed soup) you prepared for him, his eyes went blank & his smile disappeared from his face.
"W-what's wrong? You don't like miyeok guk?" His abrupt change of expression worried you.
" Ah. No. It's just- I haven't had this since I was 8." He forced out a faint smile, but you knew something was bothering him.
"Oh ok, I'll bring this to the back & cook something else for you then."
Your hand were already on the pot handles when he grabbed your wrist & stopped you.
"It's ok. Sit down, eat with me." Even though he pretended that nothing was wrong, you noticed a slight quiver in his voice.
"Ok then." You pulled out a chair & sat down across him.
Silently, you poured one bowl of soup for him & another one for yourself.
He took his spoon & scooped a spoonful of soup. He stared at it for a few seconds before exhaling deeply & putting the spoon in his mouth.
The moment the soup hit his tongue, his eyes glistened with tears & a drop fell into the bowl of soup.
Horrified, you immediately stood up & took the pot of soup back to the kitchen. This time he didn't stop you. When you went back to the dining room, he was already gone.
"Shit, what did I do?" You cursed at yourself.