Chapter 30

The Generation of Miracles Reincarnated

Chapter 30

"It will be the same starting team as usual. Now go and clinch number one!" Momoi yelled enthusiastically. Nijimura, their point guard, Kagami, their center, Hayama, their small forward, Nebuya, their power forwards, and Mibuchi, their shooting guard. This was as balanced as a team they could get.

The whistle sounded as the referee threw the ball up. The US center made it up to Kagami's jump with his height, getting possession of the ball. This was the first time in the whole Olympics that Kagami did not get the ball. "What?" he yelled angrily.

They were quick, their point guard always cautious of where everyone was. Just as Nijimura wanted to back tip him from behind, their No. 4 captain and also point guard swerved to the right without even needing to look. He quick passed to their shooting guard who did a fast three-pointer. It was going to be hard to take back the flow of the game.

Nijimura started with the ball and did a fast break to the other court. The point guard who was marking him, however, hit the ball away before he could even drive past him. He turned back only to see their loudmouthed small forward receiving the ball before releasing it at the three-pointer line, just like how their shooting guard did.

This time, Nijimura started by passing to their dribbling expert, Hayama. Just to be safe, Hayama used four fingers to dribble the ball. Their opponents seemed much more skilled as compared to the other teams they have played. Their small forward tried to block him from dribbling past him, but Hayama was too fast, passing it to Mibuchi who returned the favour with a three-pointer.

Cheers rang through the stadium, but the players on court tuned them all out. Their point guard started and far passed the ball to their power forward. Their power forward broke past all his marks easily and dunked the ball. Defending in this match was no use, it seemed.

The ball was passed to Kagami this time. However, before he could dunk the ball in, a hand whacked it away. "I'm not letting you guys pass so easily," their tall center smirked. Kagami scrunched up his face in anger.

The battle was intense. The US team had the upper hand, though. None of the Japan players could believe it. Their team was said to be the strongest so far, but yet this team was beating them. Kagami could not stand this. He nodded to Nijimura, a signal to tell him that he wanted to have a one-on-one.

The ball was passed to him. As quick as lightning, he passed the other center. Once again, Kagami Taiga had entered the zone.

"Tetsuya, we're going in. There's something peculiar about that group," Akashi told the bluenette. Kuroko nodded just when Shirogane had asked for a member change. This time, the stadium erupted with cheers as two members of the famed 'Generation of Miracles' were entering the court. Nijimura and Nebuya were switched out.

Team Japan started with the ball. Hayama passed it to Kuroko who immediately sent the pass flying at the redhead, trusting that he would catch it. However, before Akashi could touch it, the point guard of the other team had whacked it away. It was impossible. They have not even used Tetsuya for more than a minute in this whole Olympics, yet this point guard could whack the ball away.

"… How?" Akashi mumbled.

"You want to know how? I am a mind reader. I've read about you guys. You can predict movements. How 'bout I tell you, shortie, that I can predict what you predict?" the captain of the other team said.

"…What?"

"Are you an idiot or something? I've already told you and I'm not going to say it again. Hope you can find a way to beat me." With that, the point guard ran back to his own side of the court where their power forward dunked the ball again.

'This sucks,' Akashi thought as he shook his head to clear his thought. He had to find a way somehow. 'At least Taiga will spare me some time.' He looked of in the direction of the other redhead. Like what they had drilled in their trainings, if Kagami were to enter the zone, he would be under defense unless otherwise instructed or if Murasakibara was on the court.

He silently hoped that Tetsuya would understand his plan. He tried not to finish thinking up the plan as he ran to catch a ball from Mibuchi. Just as he hoped, Tetsuya had put up a screen against the other point guard. If he needed to see your mind to predict you, what if he could not see you?

Akashi caught the ball successfully before shooting a three. He was about to whack the ball away from the point guard when he started the ball, but he did a fake and went pass Akashi on the other side. Just then, Tetsuya tapped the ball towards Kagami who passed it to Mibuchi. The latter did another three. It was unsaid that if they were behind in points, they were going to make a higher number of threes.

The point guard passed to their small forward. "Ah, did you do it like this?" he whispered quietly as the rest could only watch in horror as he mimicked what Hayama had done when he dribbled the ball. With lightning fast speed, he did a lay up.

Akashi finally noticed it. They were just like the Generation of Miracles, but perhaps an improvisation or possibly an improvement of them. 'This is bad,' Akashi thought as he passed the ball to Kuroko who whacked it to Mibuchi.

The said teen was about to shoot a three pointer but the towering center of at least two meters blocked him. As quick as he could, he passed to Hayama who then shot a two pointer, since he was in the semicircle already.

Neither team had bothered to defend, all too engrossed in shooting the most points and preventing the other team from stealing the ball. Every second of the first quarter seemed to pass like an eternity. When the whistle blew, the members of the teams stared at the point board. It was a wonder how both teams could score so many points.

The points were 60-57, in the US team's favour.