Chapter 2 - Emergency Operation

Start from the beginning

A few hospital staff and nurses who came across her greeted her good morning. 'Another day, another patient,' she thought. Giving a few vaccines, check upon hospitalized children, examine some newborns was already her routines for the past year. She enjoys it very much.

She was having her break and decided to have brunch since she didn't have time to have breakfast. She went to the hospital cafeteria and joined Jen, who's having brunch all by herself.

"Kate over here!" Jen waved her hand and instructed Kate to sit with her. Kate smiled and walked toward Jen.

"Morning Jen."

"Oh my God, I heard the news! You are amazing! A pediatrician resident doing an emergency operation for Margaret Paxton. The words spread already." Jen never missed a single new gossip, ever.

Kate widens her eyes, "What?" she probably really tired last night she didn't recall her patient is a Paxton.

"Last night you were leading an emergency operation with the junior resident, right? Not to mention your heroic act on the street. And looks like you prince charming is coming over." Jen ended her sentence with a cough. Right when dr. Charles White came with his food.

"Is this seat taken?" he asked both Jen and Kate with his dreamy smile, or as Kate thought it is.

"Good morning dr. White, and no, the seat is unoccupied," Jen answered with a hidden smirk. Kate automatically panicked when dr. White took a seat next to her. She nodded and smiled at him and continued her meal.

"dr. Reynolds, I heard about last night. You were very brave and did an excellent job at the operating table. Many surgeons praising yours and dr. Graham's work." Charles smiled, sent Kate's heart rate higher.

She was struggling to find the right words to reply to his compliment

She was struggling to find the right words to reply to his compliment. Jen who watched the whole thing was holding back her laugh. "I know right? I told Kate about it and she won't believe me."

"It's nothing, really. I was just implementing my oath. I couldn't just let her be like that in the middle of the street..." Kate couldn't think straight when his brown eyes stared directly at hers. She avoided his stare and continue to finish her food.

"Well, it's still impressive. Good job Kaitlyn." Kate's heart raced faster when he said her first name. They talked about the ADHD program and how Jen is doing at her unit before he excused himself.

"I have to go, ladies..." Charles said goodbye and left the two residents.

Jen was holding her scream when Charles left, and Kate was trying to calm her heart rate. dr. Charles White is a senior Pediatrician like dr. Laura Reed. When Kate started her residence, Charles stole Kate's attention. He's so dreamy, especially when he interacted with kids. At least that's what Kate thought. She didn't want to say she's having a crush on him, she called it more like admiration from junior to her senior.