Ten.

Ten.

My exhausted eyes focus on the two people standing a few yards away from me. The guy she's with stands lazily, making me feel bad for him. He should be feeling sorry for himself. But no, he is oblivious to the fact he looks like dog shit. And from the looks of it, Ava is oblivious to it too. She laughs and talks with him as if he is gold and she's the miner who found him.

Rolling my eyes, I stare at the extra emotional texts Emmy has sent me.

They range from,

"Why do you like her more than me? What makes her special?"

"You know your mom likes me? We haven't met yet but we will soon. "

"I'm sorry Ian. Ignore that. I, really really need your help tho. Do you think you could come by and help me unglog my toilet... ;)"

And then there was,

"Fuck you! Don't text me again." 

Two minutes later:

"Never mind that awful text. How about you fuck me instead?"

"What the actual fuck?" I squint at the complicated texts on my phone. Especially the one about my mother wanting to meet my "new girlfriend", Something tells me Emmy hacked my phone to get Elaine's number. Shaking my head, I conclude this chick needs some medication.  

My ears stay alert so I can hear what Ava and Christmas are talking about.

"Just relax, you'll kill it," his hands lock onto her shoulders as he makes strong eye contact with her. 

"How can I relax when I'm so nervous?" She pulls on the hem of her blouse while chewing on her bottom lip. This act alone forces a shudder through me and makes my lower body stiffer than a board.  

Not again.

After fixing my "problem" as best I can, I draw my attention to them. Ava is now pacing back and forth nervously while Chris is staring at his phone. This should annoy me but it doesn't. My irises should be the only ones on her. 

Shit. My view changes from content to panicked in an instant because she stumbles on a rock on the sidewalk. For a split second my heart leaps and then I see his arm extend to grab her. He catches her before I can run over to them.

“Whoa Miss Anal. I meant kill this interview not yourself.”

What kind of joke is that? That's not even funny. My left foot has more humor in it than this kid.I bet she won't laugh.

She laughs dryly before saying,

“You're killing me with your lame sarcasm,”

He laughs before wrapping his arms around her. "I know, but you loved my lame sarcasm,"

They stay like that. Holding each other for a few seconds while I begin to fume. I have a good mind to walk over and break this piss party up.

"Chris sometimes," She sighs, struggling to release her words.

"What? Sometimes what?"

"Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if we were still together..." She admits shyly. From my angle, a blush flashes on her cheeks.

"We weren't gonna last, Ava. It worked out better this way because we both get to stay focused on school, ya know?" 

"No, it worked out better because your parents tell you that,"