One.

One.

'If you've ever gotten to a point of giving up then you'll understand this. If you've ever reached your breaking point then you'll understand this. I'm not doing it because I'm selfish, Elaine. It's the complete opposite. I'm only doing this to make you happy. To make things right between you and dad.
Once I'm out of the picture then he'll go back to loving you again.You won't need me anymore.

I know this seems stupid or reckless but you know that's how I've always been in Martin's eyes. So I'm only proving him to be right. I want to be right in his eyes. I want to be his perfect son, and to do that I have to disappear. He acts like I never existed anyway, so this won't be painful for him. He won't miss me.

Now for you, my heart and soul,  it will be harder to digest. You won't get over it so quickly because you loved me so much, and in return I loved you too. But I now realize that the one woman I love the most needs her husband to love her, not her step son.

When you read this you'll understand. You'll understand how heavy this burden is to carry. You'll understand the reasons why I did it.  It was not just to make you happy, or make my dad proud; no, I did it because I love you.'

With my fingertips grazing over each word, I reread it aloud. It doesn't sound too bad.

Once I'm finished, I place it on her office desk before taking a seat in the black, leather chair. With my eyes closed, I sigh heavily before gripping the gun tightly. Instead of lifting it up, I slide it against the wood top before hearing a faint sound hit the ground.  Something landed on the floor. But what?

Should I ignore it and just off myself? Or, should I just pick it up? Elaine has always wanted things to be neat and in order.  She wouldn't want to see a slip of paper on the floor, even after seeing me with my brains blown out.

"Dammit." I grumble before bending down to retrieve the fall paper. The sooner I can get this over with, the better.

Shaking my head with impatience, I throw the paper on the desk.

The gun is now pressed against my temple, but before I can pull the trigger my eyes land on someone. And that's when I see her. I see the one girl, other than Elaine,  who captures my eyes all over again.

'Eighteen year old college student, Ava Campbell, is one of many who will attend University of Nevada: Las Vegas in the fall.'

There's a full page of students attending the school on athletic scholarships. Hers in particular, piqued my interest more. In her picture, I see bright, cheerful brown eyes. A perfect smile with perfect, pink lips lights up my heart just staring at it.  Her chocolate brown hair hangs over her shoulders, hiding a bit of exposed skin underneath. I can feel myself slowly getting excited. Dammit, I need to restrain myself.

"My Ava." I trace over the picture again, making note of her beautiful apperance. Making note of a few of her favorite things listed in the article. Not only is she attractive, but athletic and  smart as well. Just the girl I need.

With a satisfied smirk, I place the gun back on the oak desk then lean back in the chair. I can have her and I will have her.

Today is the day I decided that if I wanted true happiness then I'd have to take her, instead of myself,  to get it. 

--*--

Unedited. Vote,  comment, and fan ! :D

I'll probably go back and add more if I need to. Thanks for reading!  :)