Twelve.

Twelve.

Unedited.

**WARNING: The topic(s) discussed in this chapter are mature and should be read by such readers. If you don't think you can handle what is written then I strongly suggest you skip the scene(s) in this chapter. You've been warned. Now enjoy! :D**

"When I think of myself I think of a shattered mirror. I'm dangerous to those around me because if you pick up the pieces you'll get cut in return." -Ian Hunt

The thin mist and thick fog blanket over the pavement in such an immense way that it forces me to turn my head lights on. For seven in the morning it sure is dreary out. It rained earlier this morning; three a.m. to be exact, and I was wide awake. I laid in bed for almost four hours until finally deciding to get up.

I needed to breathe and this was the perfect way to get some fresh air.

I'm driving in silence with just my painful thoughts suffocating me. I know it seems kind of crazy to some-- carrying a heavy weight without dropping it. But to me it's no big deal. These are my own burdens and this is what I'm used to doing with them; carrying them around. Keeping them safe within my torturous mind so no one else can suffer. No one else but me.

"Strength isn't just physical Ian, it's mental too. Always remember that our mental scars outweigh the physical ones. The physical scars tell what you've been through while the mental ones tell whom you've become."

Elaine always drilled that into my head. She always made me think about life; the deeper meaning of life and the people around me. While Martin hit first and asked questions later, Elaine was the one who would explain everything to me. She taught me to stay silent around my intimidating dad.

The road curves suddenly, forcing my hands to grip the wheel tighter. I almost forgot where I was: Killer Curve. This location is known for its' insane curves and because of that many people swerve off the cliff- hence the name, Killer Curve.

My thoughts and body readjusts so that I am able to refocus on what I was doing previously. Driving and thinking is what I love most. And now that this semester is over, and I'm home for the next three weeks I will be doing this more often. Driving and thinking.

Pulling onto the side of the road, I straighten the car before shifting the gear into park. The hum of the engine stills and then, the sound of my feet hitting the hard gravel invades my eardrums.

The brisk, invigorating wind stings my face the longer I walk down the shadowy path. I shiver before pocketing my frigid hands. My army green Parka keeps my body warm and for once, I'm grateful to Elaine for this 'welcome home' gift.

"Ah, there you are."

A voice so crisp, so divine awakens my senses. I've reached my destination and so has she; the lake at the bottom of the cliff.

"My one and only son," Elaine turns to me. The first feature I notice is her seductive smirk.

The second thing I notice is her laid back attire. No dress or heels. Just loosely fitted jeans and a black blazer. I'm surprised at her shoe choice; black converse.

"Hello Mother," I breathe out tensely. I don't really understand why I'm feeling so stiff around her. If anything, I should feel the complete opposite. She helped me break out of my timidness.